INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lastfm will not run at startup  (Read 6826 times)

andrewg501

• Recent member
Lastfm will not run at startup
« on: December 19, 2009, 04:33:07 am »

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help, under the main tab on lastfm options, i select "run plugin at startup" but every time i close and save the options, when i reopen the options the box for this it is deselected. This means that i have to manually start plugin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Lastfm will not run at startup
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 05:37:39 am »

Hi there, welcome to the forums. This registry hack usually takes care of the problem. No one seems sure why it affects some but not others... gotta lurve 'puters, huh!!!

As mentioned by Smoofus in http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44779.0

I ran into the issue of the last.fm plugin stopping if not actively viewing it as well... I changed the PluginMode registry setting to get it to stay running.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Center 12\Plugins\Interface\last.fm

Make sure the PluginMode setting is set to '1' not '0'.

This should force the plugin to be 'Always active' rather than 'Active when visible'.

I had the same problem, but it seemed to fix itself in late February.  Not sure why yours is still glitchy, but this registry fix usually works.

Make sure that the "Media center 12" part matches the version of MC you are running, and make sure MC is closed when you perform the edit.

-marko.

andrewg501

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 11:33:37 am »

Thanks for your help, Marko but this doesnt work for me. As you say 'puters!!

Hi there, welcome to the forums. This registry hack usually takes care of the problem. No one seems sure why it affects some but not others... gotta lurve 'puters, huh!!!

Make sure that the "Media center 12" part matches the version of MC you are running, and make sure MC is closed when you perform the edit.

-marko.

andrewg501

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 04:37:23 pm »

Solved it, but only by going back to V101. Not exactly what i want to do, but it'll do.

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help, under the main tab on lastfm options, i select "run plugin at startup" but every time i close and save the options, when i reopen the options the box for this it is deselected. This means that i have to manually start plugin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 03:41:33 pm »

This is happening to me too :(

No Last.fm submission for the last few weeks, no PluginMode setting in the registry under last.fm plugin. Tried to add one but it did not have any effect.
Since the plugin is locked in "active when visible" mode I have to have the plugin open for it to submit.

Does this meen that I have to uninstall MC14 and delete all registry settings to get Last.fm support again?

Sundog_AK

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 02:38:42 am »

I have also been having this problem starting with the mid-November builds of MC 14.  The registry fix described above does not work, at least with the current MC 14 builds.  Like mentioned, if you leave the plugin window visible it will scrobble but the check box for starting the plugin at start up will not stay active when the program is relaunched.  I suspect there is a different registry key to use, although hacking the registry shouldn't be needed for the plugin to work.  Hopefully JRiver folks will have some insight on the issue. 

andrewg501

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 04:40:13 pm »

Recently updated to v118 thinking that maybe the problem had been ironed out, but still deselecting the option to run plugin at startup. So i have reverted to v101 and the plugin works properly again. Not a real problem at the moment but will be as the current version increases and i am left further behind. This seems to be a common problem and i see that Jim referred someone to this thread from the main MC14 board. I wonder if anyone is working on this?

I have also been having this problem starting with the mid-November builds of MC 14.  The registry fix described above does not work, at least with the current MC 14 builds.  Like mentioned, if you leave the plugin window visible it will scrobble but the check box for starting the plugin at start up will not stay active when the program is relaunched.  I suspect there is a different registry key to use, although hacking the registry shouldn't be needed for the plugin to work.  Hopefully JRiver folks will have some insight on the issue. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 05:05:04 pm »

It may be related to this change in build 106:
2. Changed: Minor application manifest change that should disable any UAC redirection (and the problems associated with redirection).

Try running MC as admin.

EtherealGoddess

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 06:57:25 pm »

To get it to work, you need to edit or add the last.fm key given under HKEY_CURRENT_USER not HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and its type is a DWORD.

andrewg501

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 01:38:56 am »

Jim, yes that does the trick. ie. when i select the "run at startup" option MC remembers this and automatically submits when i restart MC, so long as i remember to run as admin. A pretty simple workaround.

Many thanks for your help and Happy New Year.

Andrew

ps.....sure you guys know this but to always run an app as admin, just right click, select properties, goto shortcut tab, hit advanced and select "always run as admin".

It may be related to this change in build 106:
2. Changed: Minor application manifest change that should disable any UAC redirection (and the problems associated with redirection).

Try running MC as admin.

EtherealGoddess

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 02:55:32 pm »

You don't have to run as admin (and probably shouldn't) to get it to work. Adding the registry entry under the proper registry hive works fine and will work better with a multiuser setup so everyone doesn't have to run as admin.

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 01:01:48 pm »

You don't have to run as admin (and probably shouldn't) to get it to work. Adding the registry entry under the proper registry hive works fine and will work better with a multiuser setup so everyone doesn't have to run as admin.

Not sure what you mean by this, but the registry fix you suggested in your first post did not work in it self for me. Had to run MC as admin to start posting to Last.fm

Waiting for a new build with a fix!

Sundog_AK

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 03:13:04 am »

The registry fix doesn't work, regardless if it is placed under local or user key tree. 

EtherealGoddess

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 03:04:00 am »

Not sure what you mean by this, but the registry fix you suggested in your first post did not work in it self for me. Had to run MC as admin to start posting to Last.fm
Running as admin allows the "run at startup" checkbox to be selected, but I didn't need that just to submit to last.fm. Adding the registry key allowed me to submit to last.fm as my standard user when not in the viewing pane even without that box checked. I've upgraded over a few versions of 14 (from when it was working okay) on this machine, but doing the exact same thing on a fresh install (it's never been on that computer before so it's not like there's some older state it can be picking up from somewhere) of 14.0.118 on Windows 7 works too. These two machines are both running Windows 7 with one at UAC's default and mine at Vista's level.

To be absolutely explicit:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Center 14\Plugins\Interface\last.fm as a key did not exist for me on either installs (but other keys for plugins were there.) I created it and added PluginMode as a DWORD and set the value as a hexadecimal 1 following the format of the other plugins' keys and it works for submission without being admin even though I still can't check the box. Sorry that it doesn't work for some people, but I think it's worth it to try that first given that MC embeds IE and such.

andrewg501

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 03:28:08 pm »

Version 121 doesnt allow for the fix by running as administrator, so will be sticking with version 118 until a fix is available.

With reference to the regedit suggestion, i do not even have an entry for lastfm under the jriver entry.

EtherealGoddess

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 03:12:21 pm »

That's the entire point. The last.fm key didn't exist. So I manually created it. There's nothing special about registry entries that prevents you from adding them if they're not already there. So from what you're describing, you've not actually added the registry entry for it to work in the first place.

Until JRiver fixes the UAC problem (which is the harder problem), they might just modify the last.fm plugin to write this registry key or default to PluginMode=1 instead of 0.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 06:59:55 am »

Just hit this problem for the very first time.... annoying...

Upgraded from build .96 to .121

Win7 64-bit ultimate

[edit]the reghack worked, but this must be fixed as there will be a LOT of users who do not/cannot/should not edit the registry...[/edit]

Mark

TheLongshot

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 01:12:03 am »

Ok, I really don't understand why this is still a problem.  This bug has been around forever and it never seems to go away.

I just had to search for it since I just upgraded my system to Win7.

Smoothwalker

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 03:51:58 am »

I have the same problem and cannot fix it by adding the (missing) registry key at the HKEY_CURRENT_USER path. When I run the program as administrator changing the setting works. Nevertheless, that does not affect the non-admin program setting. I am using Windows 7, but I faced the problem under Windows XP as well. The bug did not exist in MC 13.

This is quite frustrating since I want to keep on using last.fm
I wonder if any of the J River programmers reads this blog.

gappie

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 04:01:52 am »

I wonder if any of the J River programmers reads this blog.
they apparently do. when you go to the mc 14 forum you can see this in the change log for the newest build, 144:

4. Fixed: last.fm did not persist its running state properly when running under UAC.
when that does not work for you, you can post it there as a bug, or here.

:)
gab

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 10:04:01 pm »

I've had this problem with MC14 since about mid-February. I had it with MC13 as well, mostly for versions that were around towards the beginning of last year. The registry edit fixed those; however, it doesn't seem to fix it for MC14.

I haven't tried the "run as admin" thing yet. I'll give that a shot.

Nope, no help for me. Sigh.

Micah
Pages: [1]   Go Up