INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I move tags after I have copied the files to a new computer?  (Read 1567 times)

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck

I am attempting to set up a new computer and move files and tags from my old computer. I have successfully moved the view scheme and restored the library. I have been trying to move tags from a USB drive from my original computer to the new computer. I plugged it in to the new computer. I want to return that drive in tact to the old computer. I copied files using explorer to the C drive of the new computer. How do I move the tags over? I tried changing the drive letter with search and replace. The correct tags (fields) appeared in the new computer, but they wouldn't play. I got an error message that the file did not exist, even though the path that appeared was correct.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: How do I move tags after I have copied the files to a new computer?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 02:39:45 pm »

What was the original base path (or paths) and what is the new path (s)?

Have you actually verified the Filename field values? Perhaps the problem is caused by a small error in the path. For instance, a missing or excess backslash character can invalidate the file links.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 03:24:24 pm »

The original was H:\ and the new one is C:\My Book\.  I tried it twice thinking a minor spacing error caused it. It does not appear to be an error. Any other suggestions? The problem with moving them in the tree is that it erases the original drive. "Move" seems to work by including the tags, but copy does not. I want to copy.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 03:38:50 pm »

Could you restart from the beginning?

Just restore the library backup file and disable the auto-importer so that it can't do anything while the library is fixed.

Copy the media files to C:\My book\ with Windows Explorer (if they are not there already).

Inside MC select all files and use the Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool for changing the base path. I have posted step-by-step instructions here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55224.msg375699#msg375699

If you have cover art files in the default location (i.e. not in the same folders with the media files) you must copy them separately.

EDIT

I modifed my instructions to fit your folder structure:

- Select the files and use the Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool for fixing the base path:

a) Select the correct mode: Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move or copy)
  b) Untick the Directories and Filename options
  c) Define the path change in the Find & Replace section:
      Find What: H:\
      Replace With: C:\My Book\
      (take care that both strings have the correct number of backslashes)
  d) Check that the preview section shows correct new filenames and press OK.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DBB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 06:50:49 pm »

Thanks! I got it. My problems were I thought that I disabled the auto-importer. Then I realized it goes on when you restart the program and it must be turned off each time and originally through the Library options.

Second, I used an old thread which advised to use "find and replace" but to rename drive to prevent actual moving of files. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40671.0 They started to move. Bad

My sugestion, since this comes up a lot is to write it up in great detail in the Wiki so a 7 year old (or an adult like me) can follow it easily. Every step must be spelled out explicitly, like how to turn off the auto-import. You can't even assume that a user knows where these commands are located since most of us don't go "under the hood" that often.

Thanks again,

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up