INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a good audio card for needle drops  (Read 3400 times)

Datman

• World Citizen
Need a good audio card for needle drops
« on: March 17, 2013, 02:27:51 pm »

I currently have 2 HTPCs one is for movies and I use an Asus HDAV 1.3 deluxe and it sounds very good over the analogs. The other used to use my Echo Mona via PCI card but the PCI card has gone partially bad and can no longer play through it for more than a few minutes. I still can do mobile multichannel via pcmcia/laptop. I have always loved the sound of my Mona and when I can compare the 2 I have a slight preference for the Mona.

I would like to get a new audio card to replace the Mona and the Echo 2 and the  ASUS Xonar Essence STX 2 Channel come to mind. If you believe the specs the Xonar should sound better both are in my budget. Most of what I want to do with this card is create and play needle drops. I am leaning toward the Echo 2 for several reasons. The ¼ inch inputs are better than the 1/8 inch stereo mini. The USB would work with the laptop for simple 2 channel mobile record setups. Echo has far better tech support. Asus has a very bad track record on driver updates and tech support.

I want something that I will know it is an improvement over the Mona. These being the only products I have used I’m interested in any suggestions. Has anyone tried the Echo 2?

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
Re: Need a good audio card for needle drops
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 05:27:42 pm »

Has anyone tried the Echo 2?

Have not tested the Echo 2 but did that the AudioFire 12 in my system for a year and it worked great for the post part.  I think an application was auto muting channels 3 and 4 on my system for some reason at random times or a housemate was doing it unknowingly.  But either way I upgraded from that to the Lynx and it's been stable ever since.

Echo has a 30-day money back program so if you think the Echo 2 would do it for you, buy it and give it a shot.  If you don't like it, return it.  No harm, no foul.
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Software: JRiver MC 26.0.22, AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0
Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 14.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 31)
Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds
Sub: Dual Rythmik Audio FV15HP
TV Tuner: HD HomeRun Prime

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:06:02 pm »

I think I'm going to get it. By the numbers it should sound better than my Mona. Going from 110 s/n to 115 and 24/96 to 24/192 and 12 years newer must do something.

I just can't justify buying it if I don't hear an improvement.

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 12:41:13 am »

ESI Juli@?
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Need a good audio card for needle drops
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 06:01:17 am »

If you can afford it, I'd recommend an RME babyface.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 04:54:53 pm »

The RME babyface looks really good. You get a lot for a few hundred more. I had already ordered the Echo 2 eitherway the RME was more than I wanted to spend. Unless there is a noticeable improvement in sound quality. My guess is they are in the same ballpark.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 11:20:53 pm »

I got the Echo2 today. I have mixed feelings about it. The sound is great; it really rocks clearly an overall sonic improvement compared to the Mona. I bet all the new 24/192 interfaces will sound this good.

I’m not sure I can live with the touch screen controls. I am used to trim pods and their infinite adjustability.

I am also afraid the gains will be to hot during live DJ recordings I’m at 4 out of 18

Processing 24/192 audio files slows down the computer too. I can live with that.

I will play with it for a few days and see if I can get used to the touch screen
Pages: [1]   Go Up