INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to play m2ts via MC engine  (Read 3300 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Trying to play m2ts via MC engine
« on: January 16, 2010, 01:22:10 pm »

I have looked over this helpful post:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44314.0

At the moment, I am experimenting in File Types (options).  If I use Windows Media Playback, the discs play well with a few caveats.  FFDShow is installed.  Can someone please point me to a step by step tutorial or explain the main reason why I might not be able to play mt2s files through the JRiver engine?  This is a simple installation with only AC3 filter and FFDShow above and beyond Win7 and MC.  Thanks!

I've also looked here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=53918.0

I selected JRiver video engine as the playback method and chose all WMV options in the other filters choice.  I am using automatic for source filter and enhanced video renderer.  WMP engine is the only way I can play Blu Ray discs.

benn600

Re: Trying to play m2ts
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 07:37:02 pm »

I was thinking about importing the movie file and archiving all the other files to a separate location.  At the moment, I prefer full DVD images over re-encoded content because I like all the menu extra content.  I'll keep the Blu Ray extra files archived until the discs are fully supported within MC.  At that point I'll add those files back in.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:24:01 am »

I play m2t files which I assume isn't too different from your m2ts as they are both mpeg streaming files.  My m2t comes from my canon video.

There are a number of options that I use that I find works but the one I found works the best is powerdvd.  For me the deinterlacing is suprior to other products.  I beleive I also used CoreAVC.

These are both pay programs but I beleive you can get a trial version of powerdvd to see if it works.

By memorey I choose j river engine, the avasynth source filter, then cyberlink...(pdvd9) and automotice on renderer.

Hope this helps.

benn600

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 07:32:53 pm »

I am looking for a free configuration.  I don't like PowerDVD anyway and will never install it again.  It takes over auto play and I feel that the company should be punished for such despicable programming--especially when using the trial!  After it expires it keeps bugging you with every disc.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 08:50:47 pm »

Ben, are these m2ts files simple rips from BDs? If so, you need to know which video and audio codecs are on the original disks. Not all BluRays are h264 compressed - a large number use VC-1. In those cases coreavc will not work to decode the video.
Also, the audio might fail unless the discs contain DD or DTS tracks. Unless you have ffdshow set up right (and a recent version at that), you will not be able to decode TrueHD or DTS-MA audio. You may not even be able to extract the core lossy tracks. AC3 fiilter will not help if your setup cannot even recognise the audio format.

Here'swhat I would do in order:

1) Find out which codecs are used. Windows Explorer can do this if you choose codec as one of the headings you can sort the containing folder by. MC can also do this when you import the mt2s, I think, in recent builds.
2) Assuming it's AVC/h264: Rename the m2ts extension to mkv. Now will it play in MC? (This test assumes you you can play back "real" mkv files in your system). If it plays, then set up the m2ts playback the same way you have for mkv.
3) Download and install MPC-HC. Will that play the m2ts file? If it does "out of the box", you can set up MC to launch MPC-MC for m2ts file playback. Or... you can register the codecs being used by MC-HC as standalone codecs for other directshow players, and then try to set up the J River engine to use them. This is what I have one. You may need matroska splitter (Gabest's/MPC-HC's internal version), and the mpc-hc audio renderer too.

In particular, you will have to read about setting up ffdshow to decode or bitstream TrueHD and DTS-MA, or to at least understand these formats so that SPDIF can pass through the lossy cores of these formats.

benn600

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 07:56:13 am »

The files are an array of various Blu-Ray disc content.  Renaming the extension did not work so I am installing the program suggested.  Is this the right link?
http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

I just don't like having to use the WMP engine at all.

benn600

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 07:58:10 am »

I would like to get the MC engine playing the m2ts files for better integration.

benn600

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 08:23:53 am »

Blu Ray files play fine when using the WMP engine but other symptoms are present.  MC doesn't switch to view mode on its own-- I have to hit Ctrl + 3.  Also, I can't get tags or cover art to work as expected at all!

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 09:44:12 am »

This isn't surprising.  I have 2 mkv's that won't play in jriver but play in media player classic using the same codec (coreavc).  Glad to hear you got it going.

I know coreavc isn't free and not sure if you can get a copy somehow, but I do find this the best all around.  Particularly if you have an nvidia card because it uses cuda and takes a lot of load of the cpu.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Trying to play m2ts via MC engine
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 04:51:15 pm »

Benn,

When you play a file in WMP, you can check which codecs it uses (while the file is loaded, choose File > Properties).  Then in MC you can try using the same.  In MC set Playback Method to "JRiver video engine (using DirectShow filters)" instead of "Window Media Engine", and select filters from the Other Filters list.

Yaobing
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

benn600

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 04:55:24 pm »

Checking both files in WMP, the one that will and the one that will not play show AC3Filter for audio and "-" for video.  Thanks WMP...lol.

benn600

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 05:00:22 pm »

Also, relating to m2ts files.  I added the files to my desktop, which I always do first, and then I updated the tags--name, grouping, etc.  Anyway, I saw that MC produced a sidecar files.  After importing them into my server MC, I saw that none of this data got imported.  I also tried an update library from tags.  Quick find cover art didn't work either.  I have a folder.jpg file stored within a folder beside the media file (00000.m2ts or other name).

So this is a lingering issue with playing m2ts files from within MC.  I basically can't get tagging or cover art to link up properly.

Daydream

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 06:10:28 pm »

Ben, did you get to read what I said in my second PM a few days ago? We need to know what's in that file in order to say what works and what doesn't and in what combination it works or if it's influenced by the position of the clouds in the sky, etc. m2ts is just a container. So far testing looks to be done by throwing things at it and see what sticks.

Also to JRiver. I'd like to know with 110% assurance that the choices of filters in MC will be obeyed, no matter what. That means that MC will render it's own custom graphs (when custom choices are made and nothing is left to automatic) regardless of filters' merits. Including to the extreme that if I make a bad choice of codecs (so that they cannot connect) nothing will come out. Is that the case? I bet it isn't.

benn600

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 06:20:32 pm »

I opened the files in WMP but they don't display anything under the video properties.  These are Blu Ray rips...aren't there only two codecs used for Blu Ray movies?  One works fine, the other will only play in VLC.

Daydream

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 09:08:53 pm »

3: MPEG-2, VC-1, H264. Depending on various other settings and filters (that you want to use / should use) the explaining grows bigger and bigger. At this point somebody would have to guess every possible combination and advise on each. It'll be a small novel. Get MediaInfo and drop the file(s) on it.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 10:02:31 pm »

3: MPEG-2, VC-1, H264. Depending on various other settings and filters (that you want to use / should use) the explaining grows bigger and bigger. At this point somebody would have to guess every possible combination and advise on each. It'll be a small novel. Get MediaInfo and drop the file(s) on it.

Or just look at what appears in MC's new "compression" field once imported. You may have to update library from tags.
Pages: [1]   Go Up