INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MPEG-2 playback issue?  (Read 2033 times)

lascasas

• Recent member
MPEG-2 playback issue?
« on: January 27, 2010, 03:03:06 pm »

Is there an issue with MC14 and .mpeg video? Playback of .mpeg files usually causes a MC crash at some point. If I stop playback of an .mpeg file at any point, MC crashes everytime. I was using v. 14.0.130. I uninstalled MC, rebooted and reinstalled. Problem remained. I thought I would try the lastest version 14.0.131 just for the hell of it. Same issue. This does not happen with any other video types that I have: MP4, M4V, MOV, AVI, WMV, IFO. I have no 3rd party plugins. I am running Vista. Any help would be appreciated.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: .mpeg playback issue?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 03:06:28 pm »

Are they MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 format video inside?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

lascasas

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 03:26:09 pm »

Are they MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 format video inside?
Had to do some research, but discovered that these are MPEG-2 files.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 04:00:46 pm »

Then the problem is that your filters are borked.

Can you play it back for a few seconds before it crashes?  If so, right click on the playing window, go to DirectShow Filters and then choose "Copy graph info to the clipboard".  Then come here and paste the results on the forum.  We'll try to figure it out.

lascasas

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 04:11:33 pm »

Then the problem is that your filters are borked.

Can you play it back for a few seconds before it crashes?  If so, right click on the playing window, go to DirectShow Filters and then choose "Copy graph info to the clipboard".  Then come here and paste the results on the forum.  We'll try to figure it out.
Right clicking causes immediate crash. Trying to figure this out... I located the filter config section, but I don't know what the settings should be. Can I manually config so this will work for MPEG-2?

lascasas

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 07:29:10 pm »

Right clicking causes immediate crash. Trying to figure this out... I located the filter config section, but I don't know what the settings should be. Can I manually config so this will work for MPEG-2?
Problem solved! Not sure if this is the optimal solution, but I changed the mpeg video config (under options) from automatic to J River video engine (using DirectShow filters) and checking all of the MPEG boxes.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 09:57:02 am »

checking all of the MPEG boxes.

Not sure what you meant by this, but if you mean selecting all filters in the "Other Filters" drop-down list that has "MPEG" in their names, it it over-kill at best.

You should select only one MPEG-2 video decoder.  Here are some examples of video decoders that are capable of decoding MPEG-2:

FFDShow Video Decoder  (make sure you configure it so MPEG-2 decoding is enabled)
MPC - MPEG-2 Video Decoder
DScaler Video Decoder

These are free decoders.  The first two can be installed as part of CCCP.  The third one is a separate install.

Other decoders that are not free, but may already be on your computer due to other software installations include

ArcSoft Video Decoder
Cyberlink Video Decoder
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 01:14:15 pm »

Cyberline Video Decoder

I think you mean Cyberlink.  Like a link made of cyber.  Sort of a computery sausage.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 06:15:39 pm »

I think you mean Cyberlink.

Right.  Edited.  Thanks.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

lascasas

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 07:17:15 pm »

Not sure what you meant by this, but if you mean selecting all filters in the "Other Filters" drop-down list that has "MPEG" in their names, it it over-kill at best.

You should select only one MPEG-2 video decoder.  Here are some examples of video decoders that are capable of decoding MPEG-2:

FFDShow Video Decoder  (make sure you configure it so MPEG-2 decoding is enabled)
MPC - MPEG-2 Video Decoder
DScaler Video Decoder

These are free decoders.  The first two can be installed as part of CCCP.  The third one is a separate install.

Other decoders that are not free, but may already be on your computer due to other software installations include

ArcSoft Video Decoder
Cyberlink Video Decoder

Thanks. Other Filters drop-down: Checked MPEG Video Decoder, MPEG Audio Decoder, MPEG-2 Demultiplexer (no idea what this is). Solved the issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up