INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using and OR in a smartlist  (Read 920 times)

struct

• Galactic Citizen
Using and OR in a smartlist
« on: January 17, 2010, 05:08:19 pm »

I am sure I have missed something on the wiki....

I wanted to do a smartlist to return all of the movies with:
1. a "G" or "PG" rating; as well as, 2. those with a genre that contains "general" or "family".

I started with the wizard the "G" or "PG" bit was fine because each of these came up with a selectable tick box.

The second bit was harder.  Although you can select the available genres, this is not a good way as movies often come with a genre of "Family;Comedy" or "Action;Family;Comedy" etc.....  and MC is only set up for a genre to be a single type and not a list of applicable genres.  Thus new permutations are constantly added and I would like to return any that contain "Family" or "General".  Using the smartlist wizard, there doesn't appear to be a way of using an "OR" within search field.

There also doesn't appear to be an option to make a criteria an "OR" comparator, i.e. multiple criteria are always joined by an "AND".  In my example above I want the criteria to return matches to criteria 1 OR criteria 2.

Couldn't see anything on the wiki on how to manually edit the string either.

Pointers??

Thanks

Craig

PS: Is there a work around for the genre field to mean something more meaningful for movies.  Almost all movies fit into a few genres and smarter behaviour in MC would be great.  Can I change the genre field to a list type that can accept multiple entries.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using and OR in a smartlist
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 05:30:56 pm »

it is possible to use 'or' in smartlists. this thread might be of some help: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54971.0

:)
gab

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using and OR in a smartlist
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:44:17 pm »

PS: Is there a work around for the genre field to mean something more meaningful for movies.  Almost all movies fit into a few genres and smarter behaviour in MC would be great.  Can I change the genre field to a list type that can accept multiple entries.

You're right—movie genres should be saved in a list field. You can't change the type of the standard field, but you can create a custom list field for them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up