INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing Library between 2 Machines  (Read 10480 times)

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Syncing Library between 2 Machines
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2010, 03:40:57 pm »

Thanks for your reply...to clarify

You connect from the HTPC to view the server, thats all you want to do. Display whats on the server at the HTPC.

is not correct.  I don't want to display or play through the server.  I simply want to sync 2 seperate libraries and in fact I only want to sync the playlists not even the files. Both computers have the exact same auto import function so both are getting the files and the files are mapped to the exact same drive in the exact same manner (however the program I used to map a local drive doesn't allow windows to share that drive..meaning do you need share permissions on a locally mapped drive on the server side in order to sync)

You can update the server from the client should you need to do so, this is what is called sync. Say if you wanted to make any tag changes but from the client and have those changes update the server then you would 'sync' those changes back from the client.

This is exactly what I want to do but in reverse.  I want to make changes on the server side, then perform the sync on the client side and have the changes from the server show up on the client.  I assume you can do this given when you go into that option in jrmc it says "Library sync lets you copy friles from another PC.  Just start Library Server on the other PC, then start the sync here." And that is what I'm doing, I have the library server running (i have the icon in the notification area) on the basement computer, then I go on my HTPC and perform a library sync and nothing happens.  For instance on my basement computer I added a test playlist and that playlist was not added to my HTPC.  I'll sremind againg that both computers have the files in their library and both file paths are the exact same.

To clarify the server part, I ran it through the windows start program.  I don't see it in the organizational tree as described in the wiki.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2010, 03:56:45 pm »

In addition it sounds like there is a GUI for the server which I'm not sure how to access so a large part of the problem may be the server itself.  I was under the impression you just start server either through programs or through mc through advanced tools.  If there is more to it than this let me know because I did the http://1.2.3.4:80/GetLibrary and it didn't come up with anything.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2010, 04:22:09 pm »

I may be on to something here because I went into startup options and chose start media server and start it on port 80.  then I went to sync and although it gave me back an error about versions and ports, at least it was something.  The issue is that if it doesn't find a server it still performs a sync and take about 30 to 40 seconds. 

I'm still stumped by the Services & Plugins section.  I can't find it anywhere.

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2010, 04:23:25 pm »

is not correct.  I don't want to display or play through the server.  I simply want to sync 2 seperate libraries and in fact I only want to sync the playlists not even the files.
Understood you don't want to play at the server, the mapping of the server's drives on the HTPC will take care of playback from the HTPC.

By viewing i mean that the playlists you created on the server will be viewable on connecting from the client and you would just click to play them on the HTPC.

This is what you wanted right from the start.

Both computers have the exact same auto import function so both are getting the files and the files are mapped to the exact same drive in the exact same manner (however the program I used to map a local drive doesn't allow windows to share that drive..meaning do you need share permissions on a locally mapped drive on the server side in order to sync)
Given you will not be making any modifications to any files from the HTPC, read level access for sharing is sufficient. I'm not aware of the program you used to share the drive I thought you would be sharing using windows explorer.

This is exactly what I want to do but in reverse.  I want to make changes on the server side, then perform the sync on the client side and have the changes from the server show up on the client.
There is no sync to be done here at all. Once you start up LS it should automatically display the file/playlist changes you made to the server on the HTPC after connecting from the HTPC to the server's LS. 

Think of a simple file server, you drop a file on it, and when you view from a client its just there ready for reading. This is the idea. There is no sync performed.

I assume you can do this given when you go into that option in MC it says "Library sync lets you copy friles from another PC.
You do not want this as you don't want to put any files on your HTPC.  IF you perform a sync from the HTPC it will copy files over from the server which you do not need as you can already access them via the server's mapped drive.

Just start Library Server on the other PC, then start the sync here." And that is what I'm doing, I have the library server running (i have the icon in the notification area) on the basement computer, then I go on my HTPC and perform a library sync and nothing happens.  For instance on my basement computer I added a test playlist and that playlist was not added to my HTPC.  I'll sremind againg that both computers have the files in their library and both file paths are the exact same.
You do not perform a library sync, you just connect to the library sever from the HTPC.

Once you get the LS running in the basement, then on the HTPC do File->Library->Search For library servers. Once it finds the LS in the basement it will download the library files to the client and you should be set.

To clarify the server part, I ran it through the windows start program.  I don't see it in the organizational tree as described in the wiki.
If you look at the tree, under Services & Plugins, there should be an entry Library server, you click it and enter in the details as in the wiki.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2010, 04:32:34 pm »

I may be on to something here because I went into startup options and chose start media server and start it on port 80. 
Thats for a webserver, so you can control MC via a web browser, you do not want this as it will only work to control playback at the server.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2010, 04:36:45 pm »

Okay so we're getting close but not there yet which is why I find forums both rewarding and frustrating.

Goal - my goal is to modify a playlist in the basement and when I do, that same modification occurs on my HTPC.  I don't want to  have to be connected to my basement pc all the time as it won't be on all the time so playing through that pc isn't an option.  So, I add songs to a playlist downstairs, I go upstairs and sync.  Now those songs are in the playlist upstairs.  So you are right I don't want to copy any files over EXCEPT for playlists which is the only option I've checked.

I'm running media server which I now assume is different then library server.  I can't find Library Server anywhere and I can't find Services and Plugins anywhere either.  I have checked run remote server on port 80 in the startup and I have also checked run mc and media server on startup.  Those are the only options I can see for any server.

With those start-up changes made I have run library sync and I'm getting an error which states wrong versions (they are not) or the server is not a library server which is likely the case.  

I'm sorry if it's an obvious one I've combed through the entire thing and can't see library server.

Also to answer your mapping question, windows didn't allow me to map a local drive thereofre I had to use 3rd party software and when I try and share it windows says it doesn't exis so I may need to use anothe program.  Actually i now have done it in dos but it won't let me share it....says it doesn't exist.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2010, 04:56:29 pm »

Goal - my goal is to modify a playlist in the basement and when I do, that same modification occurs on my HTPC.  I don't want to  have to be connected to my basement pc all the time as it won't be on all the time so playing through that pc isn't an option.
Then using the library server isn't the option for you as it requires the server to be on to be able to use it. It would stream the media over to the HTPC. There is no reqmt of mapped drives when you use the LS.

So, I add songs to a playlist downstairs, I go upstairs and sync.  Now those songs are in the playlist upstairs.  So you are right I don't want to copy any files over EXCEPT for playlists which is the only option I've checked.
In this case the simplest thing to do is just export those playlists you created to the file server and import from the HTPC.

Now you need to have the HTPC library also in sync and the only way is to backup the library on the server and restore it from the HTPC. But when you do this it will reset the thumbs cache on the HTPC.

To preserve the thumbs cache, you will have to follow alex's instructions earlier to just copy over the library files as is ie no restore/backup of the library.

I'm running media server which I now assume is different then library server.  I can't find Library Server anywhere and I can't find Services and Plugins anywhere either.  I have checked run remote server on port 80 in the startup and I have also checked run mc and media server on startup.  Those are the only options I can see for any server.
LS is the same as media server they changed the name with 14.

With those start-up changes made I have run library sync and I'm getting an error which states wrong versions (they are not) or the server is not a library server which is likely the case.  

I'm sorry if it's an obvious one I've combed through the entire thing and can't see library server.
You will not be using media server for your particular reqmt so there will be no syncing. You will be preforming the sync manually and outside MC as mentioned by Alex.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2010, 05:08:07 pm »

Wow...this is getting frustrating...not from you guys I appreciate your help.

If sync does not do what I want it to do then why does it say this "Library Sync let's you copy files from another PC.  Just start Library Server on the other PC then start the sync here."  I uncheck merge files and leave merge playslists check.  I mean that's exactly what I want it to do.  I don't need to merge files because they are the exact same in each library.  Why does the other computer have to be on all the time when all I want to do is connect to it for 2 minutes once per week?

Also when you talk about importing playslist.. you don't have to go the extent that you described.  I just export on the downstairs computer and import them on the upstairs computer.  That simple.  Having said that all I wanted to do from the start is merge 2 playlists on 2 different machines which is easier given how much a fool around with my playlists.

To sum up, and this may be my last post, I'm absolutely dumbfounded as to why a program that has a desription of a function and that description is exactly what I want the program to do, is incapable of doing it.  I think something is getting lost between all of us and maybe it's my end.

So what I am hearing is that "Library Sync let's you copy files from another PC.  Just start Library Server on the other PC then start the sync here." is a completely false statement?  If so they need to reword it because its quite misleading.  They then also need to reword merge files and merge playlists...but I don't think they will because I think it does that...which was my point from post 1.

Thanks...

Yours in frustration,

jroyale!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2010, 03:23:34 am »

If sync does not do what I want it to do then why does it say this "Library Sync let's you copy files from another PC.  Just start Library Server on the other PC then start the sync here."  I uncheck merge files and leave merge playslists check.  I mean that's exactly what I want it to do.  I don't need to merge files because they are the exact same in each library.

The idea of sync came about when ppl requested there be a way to update the server with any changes done at the remote client.

Say you were ripping from another PC other than the one in the basement, created/modified a few playlist files then you would want to update the server with those changes. Thats the purpose of sync. Or even if you wanted to listen to your library at work and then update the server at home with any changes.

Technically it does what it says just only in one direction, Client -->Server. Perhaps it could be better worded to avoid confusion.

You don't sync in the other direction because when the client downloads the library from the server it contains all the changes made on the server immediately. The other point is that file servers don't usually talk to each other they passively listen to client requests and serve.  So this is why when you try to sync Server-->Client nothing happens. The client isn't listening for anything, the server is. The client talks to the server. The other party must be listening to be able to accept the change.

If the direction of flow isn't fixed mangement becomes unwieldy. Who is the server and who client. In your particular case there are only 2 PCs, but you could have more clients connected to the server if you so wished. How would all these MC's  communicate with each other and where would the media reside ?

For simplicity you could either make all changes on the server and then have the various clients stream off it. In this scenario the clients are passive and make no changes to the media at all, they just read off the server.

Or you could make a change from any of those clients and have those changes sync'd back to the server. This way you are not confined to one PC all the time. Others if they desired could listen while you tag at your own MC either on the server itself or remotely.

Why does the other computer have to be on all the time when all I want to do is connect to it for 2 minutes once per week?
Because media server streams to n-clients that may be on the LAN or even outside it. I did not get earlier that you would be switching the basement PC off in which case media server is not designed for your particular case.

One could also say why should your HTPC client need to be on, you could make the changes on the server whilst the other is off, export to your fileserver then switch off your server and import from the HTPC later.

Also when you talk about importing playslist.. you don't have to go the extent that you described.  I just export on the downstairs computer and import them on the upstairs computer.  That simple.
True and this is the best way to do it for your requirement.

So what I am hearing is that "Library Sync let's you copy files from another PC.  Just start Library Server on the other PC then start the sync here." is a completely false statement?  If so they need to reword it because its quite misleading.  They then also need to reword merge files and merge playlists...but I don't think they will because I think it does that...which was my point from post 1.
The concepts... server, client & sync could perhaps have been better explained  :(

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2010, 10:37:26 am »

Ya I think it could have and maybe they should in the future because on it's face it looks like it does exactly what I want it to do.

I understand why the computer would have to be on in that situation I just thought on a syn it didn't have to be but I was assuming sync was different than what it was.  Wow it took a really long time to get here but thanks.

So I could use my basement as the server and it could be on all the time so maybe you can give me a quick how to connect becuase I'm having issues with it.  Firewall is off, no defender and my anti-virus is off.  Also, how does it work if you are using a current library say on the HTPC then you connect to the server?  Does it wipe out your library?

I think the end result is as follows:

1) If I'm running a server and that can stream to a client
2) Changes on the client end can then be sync'd to the server via the sync function

Only issue as I've mentioned before is I haven't found a clear desctiption of how to stream from a server.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2010, 12:34:59 am »

So I could use my basement as the server and it could be on all the time so maybe you can give me a quick how to connect becuase I'm having issues with it.  Firewall is off, no defender and my anti-virus is off.

Did you find the library server option in the tree and start it ?
Click the small triangle to the right of services & plugins entry in the tree and it should open a list. Then click Library serer and to the right, click Start Server.

Tools->Advanced Tools->Media server is not the same as Library server in the tree. Media server allows you to run various MC server's (LS, UPnP, Tivo etc) concurrently if desired and quit out of the MC GUI to save resources on the PC. It creates an icon in the taskbar. But the desired servers in your case LS has to be started prior. You don't have to run Media Server, you can leave the MC GUI running with LS as is on the server but the option is there otherwise.

If you've done the above and still can't connect try pinging the HTPC's IP address from the server and the reverse, ping the server's IP address from your HTPC. This will verify if there are any LAN/firewall connectivity issues.

Also, how does it work if you are using a current library say on the HTPC then you connect to the server?  Does it wipe out your library?
On the client it won't wipe out its own current library as it would just be loading another libray (from the server). To go back to your current library, File->Library(select  default or it's designated name)

However, if any changes were made to the remote library from the client they must be sync'd back within the session. Otherwise they will be lost if you switch libraries or disconnect for other reasons. Each time you connect to the LS it will download the server's library files and overwrite the previous session's library.

Try changing a cpl of files, sync back to the server to get a feel for the play.

I think the end result is as follows:

1) If I'm running a server and that can stream to a client
2) Changes on the client end can then be sync'd to the server via the sync function
yes

Only issue as I've mentioned before is I haven't found a clear desctiption of how to stream from a server.
On the client you just play any files as normal. They would be coming from the server directly. With audio files it will work well, video depends on whether the format allows to be streamed otherwise it would download the whole file to the client before playback.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2010, 04:33:55 pm »

H-O-L-Y crap I feel like an idiot.  I'm not sure if anybody has those moments but I now I have found services and plugins...I wasn't even thinking and when you said tree I was assuming the options menu...once that was in my head I just stop thinking of it...I'm an idiot.

Thanks a lot for your help.  This took a very long time to get here but we did.  I have found 2 solutions none of them are ideal but they work.

If I can make a suggestion on updates for 14 or version 15 I think a sync option between 2 libraries would be a good feature.  It would seem you have most of the architecture down as it stands but it would simply look for other instances of mc running on the network and then sync the libraries.  You would likely institute merge rules such as 1 way sync, 2 way sync with confilct rules and who wins and items to mergie ie. playlists only, but I think it would be handy because running off the same library may not be an option if you want 2 seperate libraries but want to sync certain items.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up