INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue Screen Of Death is back...  (Read 1502 times)

Whatthe...

Blue Screen Of Death is back...
« on: July 02, 2002, 12:16:52 pm »

Well, actually it never quite went away.  

I've been persistant in trying to get MJ working on my PC, off and on for several weeks now, and I've just gone through a new iteration of frustration.  I really like MJ, and want to get it to run on my PC, but so far - no luck.  But everytime I started up MJ I got the infamous Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).  Everytime.

I have Win NT 4.0 with sp 6, and was trying to run MJ 8.302.  Have the latest sound and video drivers as recommended, but to no avail.

However, I did run across one thing that might shed some light on the problem.  I went to a web site that downloaded a small .asx file to sample how a song sounded.  I double-clicked on the file and lo and behold.  MJ was running just fine.  

Here's the clue:  while the sample was playing MJ displayed the following message in the visualization section "Media Jukebox can not display visualizations for this file type.  Visualizations are only available for internally supported file types. (mp3, ogg, wav, ape, etc)".  I suspect that something about the visualizations is causing the problem.  I know, I know, back to the video driver, but I already upgraded to the latest.  

Question: is there a way that I can permanently turn off the visualizations feature?  I really do NOT need it as it is just fluff to me (I prefer to listen to music, not see it.  Pardon me if this offends anyone).  Are there any wands you can wave to perhaps fix the problem from your end?

Interesting wrinkle:  I just upgraded to the 316 version of MJ, and reapplied the NT4.0 sp6 patch.  Now, MJ won't even start when I double-click on the .asx file - it justs BSODs on me.  Bummer.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Blue Screen Of Death is back...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2002, 12:25:54 pm »

Try setting this variable in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Music Exchange\1.0\Media Jukebox\Plugins\Display\Active Plugin (0)

Set it to:  None
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Whatthe...

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2002, 12:54:32 pm »

Well, I do not have: 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Music Exchange\1.0\Media Jukebox\Plugins\Display\Active Plugin (0)'

I do have: 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Music Exchange\1.0\Media Jukebox\Plugins\Display\'.  I erroneously set the (Default) value to 'None', then to ''.

Under: 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Music Exchange\1.0\Media Jukebox\Plugins\Display\', I have the two folders: 'Track Info' and 'Visualizations'.  Each of which has the following entries: (Default), CLSID, Company, Copyright, IVersion, URL, and Version.

Whatthe...

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2002, 01:11:06 pm »

I just noticed the message in the forum titled "MJ8 Freezes at run", and was wondering if there is any possibility that the two are related?  

If so, how can I change the settings if I can't start up MJ???

JimH

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2002, 01:13:37 pm »

I'm not at all sure what is going on for you, but try adding the registry key above.
Jim Hillegass

Whatthe...

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2002, 01:15:21 pm »

Sorry Jim, could you provide step-by-step on how to add the key?

JimH

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2002, 01:57:10 pm »

No, sorry.  But you might find information on regedit at Microsoft.
Jim Hillegass

Whatthe...

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2002, 02:21:17 pm »

That's OK, I figured out how to do it.  I need clarification on two things, based on your example: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Music Exchange\1.0\Media Jukebox\Plugins\Display\Active Plugin (0)":

1) Should the name of the key to be created under DISPLAY be:

Active Plugin (0)

2) Should its '(Default)' value be set to:

None      or    ""

Just want to make sure...

JimH

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2002, 02:32:57 pm »

The name is as given above.  The value is None not "".
Jim Hillegass

Yaobing

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2002, 02:35:16 pm »

"Active Plugin (0)" is a string value under the display key. You can add it by clicking the "Display" key with right mouse button, and choose New->String Value.

Whatthe...

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2002, 03:16:37 pm »

Thank you Yaobing.  

I had originally set up 'Active Plugin (0)' as a key under the Display key, not as a String Value.  I corrected that by: deleting the key 'Active Plugin (0)', creating the String Value 'Active Plugin (0)', setting the value to "None" (without the quotes; also tried "" with the same results), and then rebooting and trying running MJ.

Unfortunately, both tries resulted in the nasty BSOD.  Bummer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up