INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New user coming from another program to Media Jukebox! Help with features  (Read 2399 times)

superaki

• Recent member

Hi, I am slowly moving from another program because I think J River's media jukebox is generally faster, ASIO support is native/works faster, tagging possibilities seem good, it looks good, and it automatically updates the tracks I think. But I have a few basic/advanced questions about things I could do in another program(mainly about tagging), maybe there are users here that have (been using) both?

- multi-artist tagging. In another program you could make a track which was made by multiple artists appear under the first/second/etc. artist by separating them with a ;

e.g. normally when tagging like this:

Armin van Buuren ft. Vanvelzen
Armin van Buuren ft. Justine Suissa
Armin van Buuren ft. Herman Brood

you would get when browsing by artist a huge list of co-operations and a single track in each sub-tree

But if you do
Armin van Buuren; Vanvelzen
Armin van Buuren; Justine Suissa
Armin van Buuren; Herman Brood

you can find the tracks under Armin and the co artists.

How does this work in JRiver?

2nd one is also about tagging:
When I copy tracks to a usb device I only want the first artist to show up in the filename/tags (whatever is possible)
with another program you could set how the filename should be when copied to a certain device, like
<artist> - <title>
And for me I did
$first(<artist>) - <title>

Is this possible in jriver?

3rd one is also about tagging:

How can I:
base my filename on id3 tags?
base my id3tags on file name?

4th one as well:

Does it tag wav files conform the riff standards (so it doesn't mess up the audio file?)

5th
Does J river also have something like Reg Exp find/replace (plugin for another program to change tags for a lot of tags at once with certain criteria)?

6th

When I ask jriver to scan a folder, it does not show the new files on top when I click on the column 'date imported', but when I search for the track name in the search box it gives the new tracks as results, and when I go back to the whole library the new tracks appear on top! what is happening?

7th
How do I add/remove albumart, is it possible to do more than one track at oncel?
8th
how do I make jriver start in
'audio' instead of 'start'?

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe

hey.. on your first question, there is a way to acomplisch this with expressions, although im not sure if they are also valid for mj 12 (im using mc 14).
i found it much more convenient to make an extra field called artists and make it a list field. the cons is that you have to fill in an extra field, but that when you use the artist field for what is on the cover, it gives some extra info. so
artist: van buuren ft brood,
artists: van buuren;brood.
when you choose brood and the next view is artist you can see
van buuren ft brood
brood & wild romance
etc

2nd: and in that case artist can be used for the usb device

7th select a bunch of files rightclick coverart (when its not there its after mj 12 that it was intoduced)

8 that is not possible in in mj, its prt of the deal for the free program, but ofcource possible in mc.

much questions and a few short answers

:)
gab

superaki

• Recent member

Thanks for the answers. I hope somebody can answer the rest of the questions I have, and maybe elaborate more about the multi-artist tagging.

I have few more questions:

1. Sometimes J-river only produces pops while playing back through ASIO , while the minute before it does work fine, it happens often when inserting new USB drives.

2. Can I somehow down the ASIO latency in JRiver further? Because 100 ms is pretty high..

3. When I buy J river mediacenter, will I have liftime updates? And on how many computers can I install it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

An MC purchase gives you the license for a single version.  Upgrades are currently 50% of new. 

gappie

Thanks for the answers. I hope somebody can answer the rest of the questions I have, and maybe elaborate more about the multi-artist tagging.

I have few more questions:

1. Sometimes J-river only produces pops while playing back through ASIO , while the minute before it does work fine, it happens often when inserting new USB drives.

2. Can I somehow down the ASIO latency in JRiver further? Because 100 ms is pretty high..

3. When I buy J river mediacenter, will I have liftime updates? And on how many computers can I install it?
about the multi artist tagging.. when you make a view and add a pane or something like that you could use an expression instead of artist. make the expression
Code: [Select]
[artist]&datatype=[list], this will make the field behave like a list. my point was that making your own list libraryfield artists can have its  advantages.

about 1. it could be that autoimport is doing his work, you could turn it of or make sure it will keep the files and let all the thumbs build, or set the asio latency a bit higher.

about 2. why would you want that. i guess you could when you turn all other processe like the one i mentioned above , off. i mean, when using a recording program a low latency makes sence, but for audio playback only.. just curious, but what for audio card do you use. what latency have you set it to?

i think it could be an idea to give some questions there own thread.   :)

gab

superaki

• Recent member

I don't understand what you mean with:
when you make a view and add a pane or something like that you could use an expression instead of artist. make the expression
Code: [Select]
[artist]&datatype=[list], this will make the field behave like a list. my point was that making your own list libraryfield artists can have its  advantages.
1. I think this is because the USB hub is being annoying, it also doesn't connect my mp3 player when I put it in, and when I replug it it works again :P
2. well to decrease the time it takes to skip parts of tracks.. I can reach 2 ms with my denon x1700 without problems.. so 100+ the standard latency is a bit high :P

I think I'll do that ;)

JimH

• Administrator

What are you playing to?  A USB DAC?

superaki

• Recent member
Re: New user coming from another program to Media Jukebox! Help with features
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 05:29:53 pm »

Yes A DJ mixer

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 05:33:15 pm »

Take a look at our Wiki (link above) and the article on "DAC Settings".

superaki

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 09:38:18 am »

Thanks, but when I search for DAC settings or merely DAC, it doesn't show up.
Also, everytime I try to download an update for Mediajukebox, it says download failed.. How come? I tried reinstalling it but nothing changes..
Pages: [1]   Go Up