INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theatre View Scheme backup  (Read 2532 times)

BrianD

• Junior Woodchuck
Theatre View Scheme backup
« on: January 22, 2010, 08:38:28 pm »

I am replacing my operating system on my HTPC and need to restore my library once the new OS is up and running.  After some testing it seems that the Theatre View configuration is not contained within the library backup.

Can this configuration be backed up and restored (or moved/copied to another pc) or does this part of the config need to be setup manually each time.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • MC Nerd
Re: Theatre View Scheme backup
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 10:04:55 pm »

I believe everything that isn't stored in the library is stored in the registry under HKCU\Software\JRiver. If you back that up and restore it it should restore the settings you want.

audio-odyssey

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:33:58 am »

Is there any way to automate a registry branch backup like this using task scheduler in XP?  My previous HTPC main app (Meedio) was easy to backup each night by making copies of all the databases and the configuration files.

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 03:11:15 pm »

Is there any way to automate a registry branch backup like this using task scheduler in XP?

That's a good idea! I put this in a batch file...
Code: [Select]
REG EXPORT "HKCU\Software\JRiver\Media Center 14" "C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 14\Registry Backups\MC14 Root.reg" /y
...and scheduled it to run immediately before my nightly backup. My backup routine keeps multiple versions, so I haven't attempted to deal with that in the batch file (e.g., appending the date to the filename).

This is the help for REG EXPORT:
REG EXPORT KeyName FileName [/y]

Keyname    ROOTKEY[\SubKey] (local machine only).
    ROOTKEY  [ HKLM | HKCU | HKCR | HKU | HKCC ]
    SubKey   The full name of a registry key under the selected ROOTKEY.

FileName   The name of the disk file to export.

/y       Force overwriting the existing file without prompt.

Examples:

REG EXPORT HKLM\Software\MyCo\MyApp AppBkUp.reg
    Exports all subkeys and values of the key MyApp to the file AppBkUp.reg

audio-odyssey

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 03:18:51 pm »

Could you share your backup routine as well?  I am still using my Meedio backup batch file that keeps multiple versions but don't know all the filenames yet for Media Center to do something similar.

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 05:15:49 pm »

I use CopyTo Synchronizer. It has worked well for many years, so I wouldn't know if there are now better tools out there. It does pretty much what the name implies. It copies files from one place to another, will a whole bunch of options for determining what to copy, and things like how many versions to keep. It's this ability to maintain any number of versions that I most appreciate—especially for data files. These file copies are simply written to a separate partition. I also maintain a "traditional" backup on an external HDD. On moving to Windows 7, that task was taken over by Windows Backup.

MC already does a very good job of backing up the library automatically. I see I've got a backup every few days for the last two months, and then monthly versions. This program-created backup is in the same location as the data, but it's included in both my copy and backup routines anyway. The only thing missing is the registry backup. Maybe someone else can suggest an easy/free way to append a date to filename created by a batch file.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 06:03:08 pm »

I do a reg back the same way using Task Scheduler and exporting that part of the registry to a file. I then use a program called Cobain Backup 9 which is freeware. Does basically the same thing: copies my registry backup and my library backups to another computer. That computer is backed up using Carbonite...

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 07:30:48 pm »

Maybe someone else can suggest an easy/free way to append a date to filename created by a batch file.

But since it's Sunday and raining... ;)

SET FileStamp=%date:~6,4%-%date:~0,2%-%date:~3,2% %time:~0,2%h %time:~3,2%m
REG EXPORT "HKCU\Software\JRiver\Media Center 14" "C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 14\Registry Backups\MC14 Root %FileStamp%.reg" /y

...but no warranties. I'm not very familiar with these things, and the Time and Date functions are surely sensitive to Regional Settings. It should work if you're willing to adapt it, however. And you can schedule it to run every minute! :D

Cobain Backup is nice, but it doesn't seem to be able to save multiple versions within the same folder structure. It seems to work like a typical backup program—it will make an incremental (or another full) backup, but those files go into a separate folder. I suppose something that makes CopyTo somewhat different is that it compares the source and destination first, and then copies according to how it's been it's been configured.

kurushi

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 04:27:05 am »

Hi,
I have seen this maybe it can help you:
Settings save & restore:
http://accessories.jrmediacenter.com/mediacenter/accessories.php
Good luck!

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 06:08:29 pm »

SET FileStamp=%date:~6,4%-%date:~0,2%-%date:~3,2% %time:~0,2%h %time:~3,2%m
REG EXPORT "HKCU\Software\JRiver\Media Center 14" "C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 14\Registry Backups\MC14 Root %FileStamp%.reg" /y

Great idea!

The batch file above didn't work for me... I'll blame it on running Vista on this machine (:)), but the following did:

REG EXPORT "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 14" "D:\My Files\Music\JRiver Data\Media Center - Registry Files\MC14REG.reg" /y
for /f "tokens=1-5 delims=/ " %%d in ("%date%") do rename "MC14REG.reg" MC14REG-%%g-%%e-%%f.reg

I prefer to have my files and backups on a "D" (data) drive instead of "C" in case I reimage the OS.

Thanks again for the idea!
Pages: [1]   Go Up