INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV recordings and library server error  (Read 1716 times)

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
TV recordings and library server error
« on: January 25, 2010, 12:50:52 pm »

I recorded a TV program and am sharing the library containing this recording using library server.  We I try to play the TV program from another machine using the shared library, I receive an error.

The error details are:  DirectShow: No combination of filters could be found to render the stream. Code=0x80040218

Any suggestions?

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: TV recordings and library server error
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 12:55:16 pm »

PS: Both machines have Windows 7 and MC 14.0.127.  I have had the problem for a long time (many previous versions of MC) and am just now getting around to resolving it.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 02:15:44 pm »

Do you have MEPG-2 video decoder on both machines?  Since you have Windows 7, I'd expect you do have it (Microsoft MPEG-2 Video decoder), but you should check that.

You also need AC3/MPEG-2 Audio capable audio decoder.  Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder does not work unless you have your sound output to a digital receiver.

Another thing to try is to reinstall MC on the client machine.  Very occasionally MC's TV filter may accidentally get unregistered on a system, or failed to register in the first place.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 06:33:33 pm »

There is also a program called gspot that you can run on the file and it will tell you what codecs are required. You would then know what is missing.

If you want the simple route, install CCCP codec pack. My bet is it will resolve the issue.

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:55:43 pm »

Thanks for the response. I installed CCCP on both machines following the directions from the DirectShow Playback guide on the wiki. I experimented with various playback settings on the client machine. I still get the same error.

I have never had any problems playing the TV recordings on the server machine (the one containing the TV tuner stick, Pinnacle Pro HDTV, and serving up the library) - both before and after installing CCCP. I'd also note, though it probably doesn't matter, that I am using the 64-bit version of Windows 7 and I am recording a digital over-the-air broadcast.

I also tried playback on a different client machine - one that also has Windows 7 and a TV tuner stick and therefore all of the same drivers as the server machine. I receive the error message there also. If I use a local library, I can record and playback TV programs on this machine. However, when it is a client of the server library, it can't play the file on the server.

I tried GSpot on the server machine.  I assume that the appropriate file ends with .jts.cnk as the extension. It says that the video codec is MPEG2. Its name is MPEG-2. But the status is "Codec(s) are NOT installed." This doesn't make sense to me as playback works fine on this machine.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 09:11:57 am »

This probably is a problem of server not serving all the files needed for playback on the client.

On the server, go to Library Server and click Options button and type the folder path of TV recordings (for example M:\Video\TV Recordings\ if that is where all your TV recordings go) in the edit box near the bottom of the popup window ("To allow serving of files not in your library, type...").
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 01:58:41 pm »

That worked!!!  Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up