INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change Smartlists at Specific Time, or...  (Read 739 times)

Scronch

Change Smartlists at Specific Time, or...
« on: July 01, 2002, 11:45:01 pm »

Matt -

I remember you said that using smartlists and media scheduler it should be possible to change smartlists at a certain time (but I can't find that post).

I have MJ8 smartlists working well now, using rules on genres and lastplayed (to avoid songs in the recently played list, until I reset it).  I also really like how the playlist replacement for categories was handled.

So now I'd like to kick off MJ8, then walk away and have a different smartlist load up Playing Now at certain times of day--without messing with the song that's playing when that time rolls around.

Or...

I'd be happy with a sort of a master smartlist that would append multiple smartlist results.  The smartlist would use 'p=' in conjunction with '~t' to return a certain number of minutes worth of music from a specified smartlist.  But then, somehow those commands could be included again, referencing a 2nd smartlist, and then a 3rd, 4th, and so on.  This way, a "master list" could be prepared that would essentially change the mix at the desired times.  A complication is that each search would not only look into Recently Played, but also into the list being built, to avoid repeats.

Is there some way to do this now with MJ8?

Thanks.

Scronch

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Change Smartlists at Specific Time, or...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2002, 04:53:48 am »

Hey Scronch.

Glad to hear you've got MJ8 up and running.  Is Replay Gain working out as a replacement for your custom preamp settings?

And I'm not totally with you on that second part, because it's still too early for me.  But I think MJ's sorting is going to ruin any attempt to do what you want with one list.

However, it's now pretty easy to schedule playlists. (or anything else)

To play a playlist, you need to call mjextman.exe (it's in the MJ directory) with the command /TREEPATH "Playlists\Scronch's Playlist Group\Scronch's Playlist -- I love the Packers" for example. You're telling MJ to play the specified tree path.

You should be able to set up Media Scheduler to fire those commands at whenever you want, and you'll be up and running.

Does that sort of make some sense?

Thanks Scronch.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Scronch

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2002, 09:52:35 am »

I think Replay Gain will be the best volume normalization solution.  I just need to spend the time going over it, and then analyzing all my files.  Definitely not this week...

I understand what you're saying about the sorting destroying my "append" attempts.

I'm going to spend some time reviewing Media Scheduler (MS).  But, in the meantime, a couple of quick questions--(1) What happens to the song that is playing when MS loads up a new list? (2) Assume at that point that Playing Now (PN) has 50 songs that have been played, the 51st is being played, and 49 more are still in PN below that (100 songs in all).  When MS kicks in, what I'd prefer is that the 50 played songs be cleared from PN, the 49 unplayed songs be cleared from PN, the playing song (#51) stays at the top of PN, and my new (shuffled) list gets added below that?  Any prayer of this?

Scronch

Scronch

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2002, 10:33:15 am »

Hmmmm.  I went through the Media Scheduler (MS) Help text and Tips and Tricks.  And I fired up MS and played with it a little bit.

Where can I find documentation of the "/TREEPATH" and similar commands?  I searched Help for "command" and "command line" but no joy.

I guess I would be looking for commands to purge Playing Now of all files except the one that is playing, and to add to PN a file list generated by referencing a playlist (the latter would presumably be the command that Matt listed above).  Having shuffle turned on should shuffle as the files are added.

Scronch

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Scronch

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2002, 10:16:29 pm »

Thanks, Matt.  I'm moving my continuing questions to under that thread.  Feel free to meander over there and assist Nikolay in dealing with my mumblings... (actually, scheduled smartlist changes is a pretty good request, methinks).

Scronch
Pages: [1]   Go Up