INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Country (and other) Tags Question  (Read 915 times)

Thilo

• Recent member
Country (and other) Tags Question
« on: February 02, 2010, 09:39:32 am »

Hi Group

I spend some time tagging the artist by their country of origin. When I backed up my collection by copying the music files, not the MC (*.jmd) files, the country information did not transfer. Upon investigating I found the "field(country).jmd" file and moved it to the root of the backed up collection and upon opening that library the country info was completely scrambled...

Before I start tagging everything again I would like to make sure that I don't loose all that info again.

By checking the time stamps of the jmd files I realised that the follwing files are changed upon adding a Country to the list:

browser.jmd
field(country).jmd
mediafiles.jmd
playlistx.jmd
view state temporary (index).jmd

- Do all of those files contain information relating to the tags?

- Can one just copy those files to another library with a differend drive letter and directory structure?

- What is the best method to transfer/copy/backup the tag information?

Thanks for any help in this regard,

Thilo

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • MC Nerd
Re: Country (and other) Tags Question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 05:01:41 pm »

You cannot move jmd files between one library an another. The files make up the database and they are interrelated.

There is a setting under Options->Library and Folders. Click on Manage Library Fields. For each field you will see the option "Store in file tags (When Possible)." This is not checked by default for Country which is why it didn't get stored in the media files themselves.

As for backup, if you don't want to lose stuff, don't dump your library! :) MC backs up the library automatically. You can specify the spot under Options->File Location->Library backups. It would be good to point that to a spot where it will get backed up with your media. This will not backup some settings though as they are stored under the registry. There are some threads around here with that information if you need it.

Thilo

• Recent member
Re: Country (and other) Tags Question
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 01:22:10 am »

That did it. Thank you :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up