INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Navigation/Playback annoyances  (Read 1853 times)

Lunatique

• World Citizen
Navigation/Playback annoyances
« on: February 12, 2010, 12:15:32 am »

I've been trying to figure out a few things, and I'm hoping you guys can tell me if it's possible in MC.

1) It seems I can only use the large thumnails along with details like rating, bitrate, duration, file type...etc in Audio, but not in the Playlists or Playing Now. If I save a view while in Audio that has large thumbnail and the details, I cannot use that view setting in Playlists or Playing Now. If I try to load up that view, it actually contains the files that were in the Audio view when I customized the layout, not the Playlists or Playing Now.

2)  Is there a way to set the highlighted track behavior so that if I scroll away to some other parts of my collection, if I hit Next or Previous, the highlighted focus will jump back to where the currently playing track is in the collection? I sometimes scroll to look for another track, but then I can't find the track that is now playing (or the tracks near it) and would have to scroll all over the place to find it again. With the automatic jump focus to next playing track (or technically, the currently playing track), it would automatically take me back to where I was before.

3) I can't use MC for video at all because it's extremely sluggish--it take forever to just play a file. Are there specific settings I can tweak to speed things up so the response is more like when I'm dealing with just audio files?

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Re: Navigation/Playback annoyances
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 03:30:11 am »

2. I have asked for this before too. I think it's a good idea. If you occasionally bring this up in suggestion/ feature request threads adn it gets more support from others then the developers might get around to implementing it.

3. Videos play back fine for me. mkv files take a while to load since MC14. Not sure why this is, but lots of other people have reported this too, so it might get worked out soon.

kurushi

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:47:22 am »

i have the same issue Lunatique i love good big thumbnail^^
maybe it's possible to set a view like this in theaterview (i mean large thumbnail with info ) but i don't know if it's possible.

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 02:20:00 pm »

maybe it's possible to set a view like this in theaterview (i mean large thumbnail with info ) but i don't know if it's possible.

It is. Setting the image size to "large" in Theatre View - Customize file info panel - Manage - Style will give you a detailed/track view where the cover occupies about half the screen.

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 03:07:27 pm »

MC intentionally does not allow a saved library view layout to be used as a playlist layout, and vice versa.

There is a file edit hack to make this work -- change one value in the saved layout file. I use this method to use my carefully designed layouts as both views and playlists. I have not found any problems. So it's odd, frustrating, and unexplained that I know of, that MC treats library view and playlist designs separately.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

kurushi

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 03:20:38 pm »

And what is this value to change?
Thanks

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 03:21:46 pm »

3) I can't use MC for video at all because it's extremely sluggish--it take forever to just play a file. Are there specific settings I can tweak to speed things up so the response is more like when I'm dealing with just audio files?

What video types?  I play video all the time no problem, but certain video types do require a little bit of tweaking of settings or codecs sometimes. 

Lunatique

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 11:25:03 pm »

What video types?  I play video all the time no problem, but certain video types do require a little bit of tweaking of settings or codecs sometimes. 

Just about any video file type responds very sluggish. I'm one of those people with music collection of over 400GB and video collection of over 700Gb, so I understand the navigation will be a bit sluggish. But the problem is, even playing the video files is sluggish--I would double-click on a video and it could take up to 30 seconds or a minute before it plays, or when it plays, it's very choppy. I don't have this problem when I use other media players.

rick.ca

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 12:19:54 am »

MC uses the filters installed in Windows to play video. So that's the likely source of your problem. The easiest solution, and the one most often recommended here, it to install CCCP. It's also a good idea follow it's instructions for removing existing filters that may cause problems or conflicts. Better yet, start by read the DirectShow Playback Guide.

Those other media players are likely ones that use their own filters (like VLC or MPC). If you're happy with one of those, you can always configure MC to use it for playing videos. There are obvious advantages, however, in being able to play all videos in MC using properly configured filters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up