INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you import playlist if file paths are different ?  (Read 2537 times)

delboy007

How do you import playlist if file paths are different ?
« on: February 14, 2010, 08:23:19 am »

I have a computer where all the songs in an exported playlist (from another PC) are there but they are in differrent folders. I have tried editing the export file so they point in the right place but when I import the playlist there is nothing in it

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How do you import playlist if file paths are different ?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 08:37:26 am »

Select a playlist, then select the files.  Right click and choose Libary Tools/Find and Replace.  I think you can change the Filename (Path) to get what you need.

delboy007

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 02:25:39 pm »

but there are no files to select. After importing the playlist exported from another PC the pane on the right that normally has all the songs is empty. I assume the reason for this is because the file paths are different. Just to clarify what I am doing

I export a playlist from one computer
I import that playlist on another computer where the songs are definately there only in different folders
When the import has finished I get a message saying:
 "Imported 0 new files. Updated 1 file that had external changes."
The new playlist appears in my "imported playlists" but when I select it there are no songs in the playlist.

I don't want to import any songs because they are already there. I just want to load a playlist created on another pc

chuckly

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 09:26:38 am »

I have the same problem. Does anyone know why my imported playlist on the 2nd computer says that it contains no files?
Thanks, Chuck

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 04:54:48 pm »

but there are no files to select. After importing the playlist exported from another PC the pane on the right that normally has all the songs is empty. I assume the reason for this is because the file paths are different. Just to clarify what I am doing

I export a playlist from one computer
I import that playlist on another computer where the songs are definately there only in different folders
When the import has finished I get a message saying:
 "Imported 0 new files. Updated 1 file that had external changes."
The new playlist appears in my "imported playlists" but when I select it there are no songs in the playlist.

Me too!!  I have exactly the same problem.  On the export computer my files are on Drive "C" and on import computer they are on Drive "D", and perhaps in different folders.  

I saw JimH's instructions above, to click on a playlist, but I'm not clear on these instructions.  Could someone please elaborate in a little more detail i.e.  Click on the playlist on the destination or source and then what exactly to do after that.   If if I change the directory path I think it will actually move the music files on the source computer and I'm not sure if that's what's supposed to happen.  I suspect some (not all) of the destination music folders have changed - then what??  I would appreciate more detailed instructions if possible.  Help!!

More details would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you,
Susie
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 08:21:41 am »

When individual playlists are exported the "Store paths relative to exported playlist location" option does the trick.

For example,

If your files are in D:\Media\Music\[Artist]\[Album]\ export the playlist to D:\Media\Music\ (with the option ticked).

The stored paths will then start from .\[Artist]\...

If the path on another computer is e.g. E:\Stuff\Audio\[Artist]\[Album]\ the same playlist will work assuming the files are available in .\[Artist]\[Album]\
EDIT: on this computer the playlist must be stored in E:\Stuff\Audio\

If the intention is to replicate a complete MJ media library on another PC (including the playlists), you don't need to start from the scratch by importing individual playlists to a new library. It is possible to restore the complete library and quickly fix the paths inside MJ.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up