INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod & MC12  (Read 3551 times)

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
iPod & MC12
« on: February 14, 2010, 04:42:21 pm »

I've been usijng MC for years and have been very happy with MC12 & my 80GB iPod (5th gen I think).  I just bought a new laptop and have installed MC12 on it (I have no need for MC13/14) and wondered what the pre-requisites are to get my iPod working with it.  It's so long ago that I set up my previous pc I can't remember.  I seem to remember having to install iTunes just to get the iPod updater installed (so MC could work with it) then deleting iTunes (I don't want iTunes). 

Is this still the way to go or can I download the iPod updater separately.  Better still can I just use my iPod with MC without installing any Apple software?
JLee

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
Re: iPod & MC12
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 02:56:07 am »

Well I tried syncing my iPod without installing iTunes and MC 12.0.534 complained that the iPod was not supported.  That seems strange when I've been using that version with this iPod on my other computers.  I think it's an 80GB iPod touch BTW.

What could be different about MC on this new computer?  Would the fact it's Win7 rather than XP make a difference?  Is there anything I can do to make it work on my new computer?
JLee

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 08:09:54 am »

I managed to find a 64-bit version of iTunes 7.6 and installed that but I still get the message from MC12 about the iPod being unsupported.  Can anyone help.  Would re-initialising help?
JLee

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 08:59:57 am »

I managed to find a 64-bit version of iTunes 7.6 and installed that but I still get the message from MC12 about the iPod being unsupported.  Can anyone help.  Would re-initialising help?
Does MC14 work?

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 02:34:27 pm »

I installed MC14 and added 20 files to the library then connected my Ipod. Whilst I didn't sync it there were no errors so it appears to work with MC14.  However, MC12 was working fine and I really have no need to pay for another upgrade.  I just want to carry on using what I'd already purchased.  Any ideas on what I could try next?
JLee

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 02:36:11 pm »

No.  Sorry.

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 03:05:17 pm »

I can't even get the upgrade price either.  I have a registered MC12 installed and MC14.  In MC 12 I just get failed to download update after it shows me the upgrade price and in MC14 it wants to charge me $49.98.
JLee

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 03:11:24 pm »

I can't even get the upgrade price either.  I have a registered MC12 installed and MC14.  In MC 12 I just get failed to download update after it shows me the upgrade price and in MC14 it wants to charge me $49.98.
That would happen if you had MC12 installed but not licensed.  Try using a restore.

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 03:41:14 pm »

Ok that worked thanks.  I'm too impressed with having to pay $25 just to keep MC working with my iPod when I use no other features but I've had value for money out of my MC12 licence so I'll upgrade.

One final question... Your web page says an MC13 library will be upgraded but older versions may need to be stepped through the versions to upgrade them.  Have you any further experience of an MC12 to MC14 upgrade to suggest the library upgrades OK or do I really have to install 13?  I ask because it *looks* ok.
JLee

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 03:50:55 pm »

Ok that worked thanks.  I'm too impressed with having to pay $25 just to keep MC working with my iPod when I use no other features but I've had value for money out of my MC12 licence so I'll upgrade.
I suppose you meant "not too impressed".  Sorry you're unhappy, but Windows 7 didn't exist when MC12 was current.

MC14 also upgrades an MC12 library.  No need to install MC13.

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 04:13:21 pm »

Yes, if it's a Win7 complication I think that's a fair response and I'll happily upgrade.  MC14 seems to play nicely with NR which is the main thing for me.  Thanks for your help.
JLee

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 06:26:42 pm »

MC14 seems to play nicely with NR which is the main thing for me.  Thanks for your help.
You're welcome.

If you have a Touch, you might find it interesting to look at PlugPlayer.  It seems right up your alley.
Pages: [1]   Go Up