INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming music to kids bedrooms  (Read 2466 times)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Streaming music to kids bedrooms
« on: November 07, 2009, 12:44:50 am »

OK, so I have MC14 running in to rooms off a PC using theater view, but I now want to be able to let the kids play music is theior rooms.

And suggestions on a good (and simple) way of doing this?

I was thinking an uPnP device in each room connected to the LAN, but nit sure which one to use or if there is a better way....

Ideally it would be nice to have an all-in-one device that has the speakers and everything in the one unit but I have no idea what's out there (or at least what I can get in or to Australia!).

It won't be connected to a TV at all, so I guess it will need an LCD display or something to allow browsing. 

I'd also prefer that I can configure the tree/what's browsed so I guess connecting to the MC library server would be useful...

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
Richard

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Streaming music to kids bedrooms
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 12:57:35 am »

Hi Richard, I too was pondering this for some time but as they both have laptops I decided to just use those over another HW Device.  Till the bugs with Library Server gets sorted out, I just put my main MC Library on a network share and have their copy of MC just use this library.
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 11:32:30 pm »

Hi Richard, I too was pondering this for some time but as they both have laptops I decided to just use those over another HW Device.  Till the bugs with Library Server gets sorted out, I just put my main MC Library on a network share and have their copy of MC just use this library.
Thanks
Nathan

Good plan.. I'm just not giving my 4 year old a laptop, I'd never get him off Skype!

Just went and got one of these frr $239 from Bing Lee, will see how it performs.

http://apcmag.com/oxx_classic_600_internet_radio.htm

It's supposed to support UPnP so we'll see what happens...

Richard

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 12:53:42 am »

Let us know how it goes...
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 02:39:10 am »

Let us know how it goes...

Um.. well, it powered up OK and can play DAB+ radio fine, but as soon as it connects to a network (wireless or wired) it reboots!

Grr, phone call to suppor tomorrow I guess :(

Richard

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 02:47:41 am »

Sorry but it is funny.... (when it is not happening to me)!
JRiver CEO Elect

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 05:06:45 am »

Good plan.. I'm just not giving my 4 year old a laptop, I'd never get him off Skype!

When I was a kid we just had a radio.  I worked out that by placing a walkie talkie next to it you created an illegal radio transmitter. (Aged 6). (I received a cease and desist style message from the police).

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 01:22:44 am »

Sorry but it is funny.... (when it is not happening to me)!

Always funny when it's somebody else :)

Traced problem down to my Netcomm USB print server... the radio seems to reboot when it receives a UDP broadcast packet from it!  Have notified distributer and they are trying to get a firmware update done to fix it.

Anyway, with the print server off I have it working, streaming from the uPnP server in MC and it all works nicely.

Only thing is the Artist: field on the diaplay says "not defined", so maybe the artist info isn't being passed from the server? Or I need a different uPnP definition (using the Soundbridge one, but didn try a couple of others.)

And as an added benefit, I get internet radio with an easy to use interface and digital radio as well!

Sound quality is ... well average given a single small speaker, but for the kids it's fine.

Richard

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 09:44:06 pm »

"Good plan.. I'm just not giving my 4 year old a laptop, I'd never get him off Skype!". 

I thought the same thing, so I gave the laptop a static ip and made the default gateway my server. This prevents any access to the outside world, unless they figure out how to change it.
Worked pretty well then to play tunes and watch movies. I got my kids a $20.00 pair of computer speakers and they love it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up