INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading to 8.0 - help needed for a computer non-expert :-)  (Read 646 times)

Laura

• Recent member
  • medical lab techmusic, science fiction, movies, books, and jewelry design

First, thank you to everyone who helped me back in December when I first got MJ 7.2.  This has become the only program that I use on a daily basis on my computer at home!  

Now - I want to upgrade to 8.0 so I can use the media server, but since I'm not that great at these things, I need help.

#1 - When it asks me to where to save it, should I create a new folder, save it in my old MJ folder, or what?  

#2 - When it installs, will it write over the old program?

#3 - if it does, will it bring the old library & playlist info to the new program?  I backed up my library - does that back up playlists as well?

#4 - where can I find the system requirements for 8.0?  I can't find them now, but it seems like I had found them another time and realized that my poor little 5 yr old computer didn't have what it takes.

I think that's all I need to know... thanks!
Laura

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Upgrading to 8.0 - help needed for a computer non-expert :-)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2002, 10:14:34 am »

>When it asks me to where to save it, should I create a new folder, save it in my old MJ folder, or what?

You can save it anywhere you want.  I have a folder for downloads, called archive.

> When it installs, will it write over the old program?

Just run the program and accept the defaults.  MAKE SURE you have a copy of your license on a floppy.  A 7.x license works with 8.0.

> if it does, will it bring the old library & playlist info to the new program? I backed up my library - does that back up playlists as well?

Yes.

> where can I find the system requirements for 8.0? I can't find them now, but it seems like I had found them another time and realized that my poor little 5 yr old computer didn't have what it takes.

If it runs 7.2, it shouldn't be a problem with 8.0.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Laura

• Recent member
  • medical lab techmusic, science fiction, movies, books, and jewelry design
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2002, 10:18:26 am »

Thank you!  Downloading now...

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2002, 10:27:13 am »

Laura,

Now - I want to upgrade to 8.0 so I can use the media server

I'll respond to #0 in relation to #4:

If you don't have a fast connection (DSL, Cable, T-1, etc.) Media Server won't be much good to you. It streams music from one computer to another so your connection to the internet has to be as fast or faster than the song plays. 56K won't do it. Most 5 year old computers were not equipped to handle these fast connections. If you wanted to upgrade, it would most likely cost more than you could buy a new one for. They are really inexpensive compared to 5 years ago.

#1 - When it asks me to where to save it, should I create a new folder, save it in my old MJ folder, or what?

Save it in your old folder because it's really difficult to go back anyway.

#2 - When it installs, will it write over the old program?

Yes

#3 - if it does, will it bring the old library & playlist info to the new program? I backed up my library - does that back up playlists as well?

Yes and yes. The drawback (to the first "yes") is that it converts the Version 7 library to a Version 8 library. That's one of the reasons it's hard to go back.

#4 - where can I find the system requirements for 8.0? I can't find them now, but it seems like I had found them another time and realized that my poor little 5 yr old computer didn't have what it takes.

See first answer.

My intention is not to scare you but to make you aware of what will be happening. It's better to go on to Version 8 and work through the problems (if you have any) than to go back to Version 7. As good as Version 7 is (I started with Version 5) Version 8 is a much, much better program.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Scronch

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2002, 01:14:03 pm »

Is the best advice as of now to install over 7.2, rather than uninstalling 7.2 prior to installing 8.0.315?
Pages: [1]   Go Up