INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnails Automatically Changing  (Read 1360 times)

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
Thumbnails Automatically Changing
« on: February 25, 2010, 06:52:42 am »

I have spent a considerable amount of time taking screen snaps of the episode title screen of my video files.

At the moment though, whenever I play a file the thumbnail is being replaced with the a snap of the first frame of the file.

This started to happen after I messed with the location settings for the thumbnails. As far as I can tell I've pointed it back to the original folder but it hasn't stopped the problem.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Thumbnails Automatically Changing
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:08:28 am »

This started to happen after I messed with the location settings for the thumbnails. As far as I can tell I've pointed it back to the original folder but it hasn't stopped the problem.

Which location setting exactly?

Thumbnails in MC are not the same as externally saved cover art. MC can create a thumbnail from the video content or from an externally linked image file (for instance, from a saved screen grab). The actual thumbnail cache that contains all thumbnails is stored in the application data location (one cache for each library).

The path to external "cover art" is stored in the "Image File" library field. For checking the Image File field values you can create a list view for your video files and add that field as a column or alternatively set Action Window > Tag to show that field (but then you can check only one file at a time)

I think the current implementation may clear the field value if the path is incorrect when MC tries to access the external image file.

Assuming you still have the grabbed image files on the hard drive, you may need to recreate the links manually by using the Cover Art > Add From File... feature.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 02:14:12 am »

Which location setting exactly?
Options>Library & Folders>Cover Art Folder

This is what I changed when the whole behavior with the cover art changed.

Checking the Image File field I find the files are stored in the Cover Art and Screen Grab folders. A large number are given no location at all, I assume those are the ones which I haven't changed.

I just clicked on play on two of the files that had addresses given and those addresses vanished, as did my screen grabs.

I think the current implementation may clear the field value if the path is incorrect when MC tries to access the external image file.
Would that apply to occassions where the cover art is still displayed? As that is my situation.

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:33:56 am »

Well, it's all a moot point now. I thought I would restore an old library and that might fix it.

I was wrong, most of the thumbnails disappeared. Now I have to do them again.

Oh well, live and learn.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 09:46:01 pm »

If you've specified a cover art folder, you could still retrieve the cover art/image by doing a "quick find in file/cover art directory".

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 05:44:24 am »

Too late now, I've redone all of the screen grabs again. There goes my Saturday.

MC seemed determined to ignore what was already there anyway.

But out of it all I did manage to achieve what I wanted to, which is to have my remote PC find the screen grabs I'd made. So it hasn't been a complete loss.
Pages: [1]   Go Up