INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EMU 1212 PCIe versus EMU 0404 USB interface  (Read 8444 times)

drewh111

• Recent member
EMU 1212 PCIe versus EMU 0404 USB interface
« on: May 31, 2010, 07:07:58 pm »

I am curious if anyone has compared these implementations. I really like the sound I am getting with the EMU 0404 USB and use it with an AYRE AX7e and Green Mountain speakers. Great soundstage and separation/clarity of instruments. I have used a number of more expensive DACS and am really impressed with this especially at the pricepoint.

I am wondering if using a PCIe interface would be superior to the USB  interface and provide any sonic advantages. Certainly, it eliminates the cable but might it also interject more RFI related noise?

Any opinions based on experience would be greatly appreciated.

drew.

drewh111

• Recent member
Re: EMU 1212 PCIe versus EMU 0404 USB interface
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 07:26:24 pm »

Right after my first post, I looked online, both musiciansfriend and sweetwater list the 1212 as discontinued? Is there something new coming out?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 04:59:50 pm »

The PCI version of the 1212 seems to be discontinued.  You might be able to find it at a discount on some sites.

There is a PCIe version available at the same list price as the discontinued PCI version.

Note that both the PCI and PCIe version consist of one board that plugs into a PCI or PCIe slot and a board that sits beside it with a set of analog connectors at the back.  Even though the second card doesn't plug into a bus sot, it takes up space.

Bill

HiFiTubes

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 07:41:27 pm »

I think the DA converters are all the same AKM? across 1212/1616/0404 but we'll have to verify.

They are underrated overall imo, and you are getting a nice benefit of the balanced i/o to the Ayre.

It's not async USB but I think there are even mods being done in some circles on the 0404. I don't think you are missing anything and I have owned 0202, 1212M, and 1616M (all PCI for the latter 2).

The PCI version of the 1212 seems to be discontinued.  You might be able to find it at a discount on some sites.

There is a PCIe version available at the same list price as the discontinued PCI version.

Note that both the PCI and PCIe version consist of one board that plugs into a PCI or PCIe slot and a board that sits beside it with a set of analog connectors at the back.  Even though the second card doesn't plug into a bus sot, it takes up space.

Bill

drewh111

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 11:51:26 am »

Thanks for your replys,

from my research -the 0404 is the AKM  - the 1212m PCIe is a CL4398 (according to many posts I have read). The consensus seems to be that the CL4398 is more detailed and less bright. I do like the sound of the 0404 (external) and am curious to hear any differences between using the USB and using the PCIe card. My system with Green Mountain speakers would be compatible with a "warm" sound as opposed to "bright".

Have you compared the USB to the card versions at all? I am curious if the bus interface is cleaner in terms of jitter and also less prone to OS/driver problems like dropouts and clicks.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 02:04:05 pm »

I have owned an 0404-USB for about a year and am amazed at how good it is with our old Klipschorns. When I researched DACs the consensus was that the USB version was much better. Also recall reading that it is asynchronous. Head-Fi forum has a lot of long posts on it, and I believe they also have some comparisons to the PCI version. There is also a huge post on Computer Audio on it.

Rod

drewh111

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 05:31:39 pm »

My research has uncovered a major problem with the PCI/PCIe cards including the 1212 - none of them auto set the bit rate via the driver. They all require manual switching of the bit rates. My library has a mix of 16/44.1, 24/96, 24/192 and I am NOT interested in having to manually switch settings!

SOOOO - I am sticking with the EMU 0404 USB and doing some mods instead. I just can't find anything better with balanced outs without spending 10 or 20 times as much. I have upgraded the power supply per Gordon Rankin's suggestion. This did result in more clarity and better bass/ mid bass. I may look at changing the capacitors on the output stage if I can find some good guidance on it. I am not strong on analog electronics though so I will need pretty good instructions. If any of you know about specific mods, let me know.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

HiFiTubes

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 02:15:55 pm »

Tell us more about which linear supply you picked up, and where. I had looked into this in the past for my ADC, DAC, or PC but was going to have one custom built eventually. How hot does it get being a linear?

drewh111

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 04:38:36 pm »

I ordered this one from Jameco. You have to cut off the DIN connector and find the +5 and Gnd. It is warm to the touch, does not run hot at all.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=689661

I have also read that some of the old Zip drive power supplies are 5V 1A and work.

This choice was based on a recommendation by Gordon Rankin in one of the audiophile threads.

jstrouth

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 07:42:12 pm »

Have any of you been able to play 24/176 files using media center out to the 0404 usb 2.0 ?
media center crashes every time i select one.
i'm using asio correctly, and can play 24/96 ok.
error seems to blame emasio.dll

appreciate any help.
thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up