INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPU Usage 100% during Theater View  (Read 2642 times)

drewh111

• Recent member
CPU Usage 100% during Theater View
« on: March 21, 2010, 07:23:07 pm »

When I run MC14 (.055) in regular mode (Windows XP), my CPU performance hovers around 35%. When in Theater View it jumps to 100% and sometimes creates clicks and pops. I need theater view to use the remote. Is this a setting issue?

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • MC Nerd
Re: CPU Usage 100% during Theater View
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 10:21:00 pm »

I would be questioning why it is using up 35% of your CPU from the main screen. Any any of the computers I own it idles well below 10% usually. (In fact it's usually below 5). I think you may have issues beyond MediaCenter.

In task manager click on the processes tab and find out what program(s) is eating up your cpu time.

The usual culprits are:

1. Hardward/Driver issues.
2. Software running in the background
3. Viruses and Trojan's. A majority of these now a days use your computer as a Zombie to send spam or attack other computers...

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 03:08:59 am »

Yeah, 35% in standard view suggests something else is going on. I'd be willing to bet thumbnailing. Try forcing all thumbs to build (a one time activity under: Options> Tree & View > Thuumbnails > Build missing thumbnails), disable AutoImport (if applicable) and then check your CPU usage again.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

drewh111

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 10:59:08 pm »

Auto import is disabled and all thumbnails are built - CPU utilization (as seen in the performance window) is actually a bit higher now (36 - 40%) in standard view. The media14 process is using under 10% though when I check the process cpu utilization. Should I only be looking at the process utilization?

In Theater View it jumps back to 100% and the process is using 55% and higher. I still question why theater view uses so much additional processing, I am using an external monitor on a laptop, maybe that is taxing the processor?

This machine is a dedicated music server with no other apps running and no internet service. Thanks for your help. Just trying to make sure I am running

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 11:25:12 pm »

Theater View requires a modern video card to run properly. It's possible that your laptop graphics is not up to the task. There's still a few things to try though:

Under Theater View options:
1/ Under Advanced: Reduce the framerate - try 30 (default is 60)
2/ Under Appearance: Change the Drawing Quality to Low
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

drewh111

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 10:30:29 am »

That really helped speed up the onscreen response of Theater View - I think you are right about the graphics card. This laptop is only 3 or 4 years old but it is a very small display and probably doesn't have a high powered graphics capability.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 10:54:46 am »

If you turn on logging, you can usually tell what is going on in the background.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 07:42:02 pm »

Even with it's age, you should not be getting 30-40% in regular view. While it is true that theater view does require heavier graphics processing, I don't think it would gobble up 100%.

In task manager, what processes are eating up the most CPU time? Look under the processes tab in task manager. Make sure to check off or click on show processes from all users (depends on what version of windows you are using).

audunth

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 08:52:56 pm »

Make sure you turn off the Windows indexing service, which can eat a lot of cpu power on less powerful machines. Either by disabling the service in the computer manager, or uninstalling it using add/remove programs -> windows features
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

drewh111

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 06:35:11 pm »

OK, I am giving up on this machine - runs too hot, not enough video power to run remote. ( have checked processes carefully - there is nothing else running).

So, I am buying an older inexpensive HP desktop with more memory? What is the minimum GeForce video card I need to run Theater mode? I don't run anything else but file access to harddrive via firewire and a remote control.

can I get by with a Geforce 5200 or maybe 7200?

thanks.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 11:47:17 am »

I had a 7950 and it ran fine although I did have problems with thumbnailing ie. the screen would go blank for a second every time it created a thubmail of a video.  I think that had to do with my tv as well though.  I then went out and bought an nivida 4650hd and it ran flawlessly.  You will find with mc if there are any little bugs in the video card drivers that can translate into issues with mc.  MC will always put the onus back on the driver so I would suggest get a card that you can return (best buy) load it, put the drivers on it and run it for a few days.  Then if it runs smoothly ie no direct3d errors or not responding due to building thubmails then keep it or take it back and buy it cheaper at another store.

Then before you upgrade drivers or mc versions make sure you create a restore point so you can go back quickly.  Personally I find the upside for mc versions and video card drivers isn't worth the hassle so I'm still runing .096.
Pages: [1]   Go Up