INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new user with problems  (Read 922 times)

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
new user with problems
« on: June 29, 2002, 08:39:16 pm »

I downloaded your software (v. 8.0.293) after reading about it on CNET.  I also downloaded Musicmatch, but I like yours better for several reasons, and I deleted Musicmatch.  Happy to list the reasons later if your marketing folks are curious.

I have an AMD 1.2G processor, 256 MB DDR SDRAM, 40GB hard drive, sound blaster live sound card, and a cable modem.  I've hooked my computer into my stereo receiver with a Stereo-Link, which has produced great results.  Now I'm looking for the software to run the music to the receiver, and am willing to register and buy the plus features if I can get these glitches fixed.  As you can see from my post here, I'm only mildly computer savvy, but I'm excited how your program allows me to put a large CD collection onto the computer and play with directories and playlists to make listening more fun.

(1) I am unable to find an "equalizer" anywhere, which was mentioned in your FAQ and on your website. Has it been removed from the latest version of your software?  If I click on the "DSP studio" button, it simply says "no display available."  

(2) For most of my CDs, the CDDB feature does not work and I get a response stating, "Couldn't get CDDB Control Interface for CDDB Control."  I usually get the CDDB info for these disks when I use Windows Media Player, so I'm wondering if there is a problem with the software here.  I have clicked on the box to activate the CDDB feature.  When I go into CDDB Settings and click on CDDB registration, it won't let me click on the button to register.

(3) the Media Jukebox program crashes somewhat regularly, although most frequently if I have Windows Media Player open at the same time.  I can give more specific info at a later time if this problem continues.  I don't plan to have both programs open at the same time in the future as I get more accustomed to using a non-Microsoft program to play music.

Any thoughts you have are appreciated.  I would have sent these questions to a tech support email and not bothered your message board readers, but I didn't see that option on your website.  Apologies to all.

Congratulations on what appears to be a great product, and I look forward to the opportunity to use it some more.
johnh

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
RE:new user with problems
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2002, 10:56:23 pm »

John
When you installed MJ8, did it seem to go well?  Did you reboot when/if asked?  Using DirectX?

Your symptoms, particularly the absence of the equalizer on the DSP and the wacked out CDDB stuff, bespeak a corrupted installation and/or device driver and are certainly not typical MJ behaviour.

Suggest you uninstall, download the maintenance release posted today (V8.0.315), close any and all Norton's that you may have and reinstall.

This is the Tech Support and someone from JRiver will respond soon after the weekend or when they recover their legs from celebrating the issue of the maintenance release.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2002, 04:15:57 am »

The equalizer is part of the DSP Studio. It's in the Player menu.

Thanks, Callithumpian, for the reply.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2002, 06:10:42 pm »

Thanks for the thoughts, and I'll give it a try.  Before I uninstall and re-install: will the uninstall/re-install delete the playlists that I've already created?  Is there any way to save them and restore them in the new program?

John
johnh

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2002, 06:15:41 pm »

They are in a directory called ..."Program Files/JRiver/Media Jukebox/data"  Copy them to a directory like c:™p to be sure.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2002, 06:31:32 pm »

Thanks, Jim, for your prompt response.  I've done as you suggested, and also backed-up my library into the same folder.  Now I'm going to reinstall the newer version of MJ8.  When I do, how do I take the files that I copied and turn them into the library/playlist in my newly installed version of MJ?

ps--I can't believe you're doing this on Sunday night.  I thought I worked hard...

Thanks again,
John
johnh

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2002, 07:02:05 pm »

Jim and Callithumpian:

Thanks!  I tried your suggestions and all is well.  The equalizer is there, and I was able to register on CDDB.  I also was able to restore all my playlists.  

Perhaps this is a lesson for me not to install software with other programs running in the background.  

I am really excited about getting to know this software and trying out all its features.

John
johnh
Pages: [1]   Go Up