INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there an automagic way to get cover art for DVD rips?  (Read 2140 times)

LoopyLyle

Is there an automagic way to get cover art for DVD rips?
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:20:28 am »

Hi, apologies in advance for what might seem to be a whiny request...

but after a couple nights of searching through lots of posts I have been unable to find what I consider an easy/automated method of getting simple cover art for my ripped DVD folders. It appears many people are using MyMovies.xml files to generate deep tag sets for their movies, but this method seems to have lots of manual steps and possible glitches (like if the file is in the root folder or in VIDEO_TS, etc) and again all I really want is a cover art image.

Soooo, is there any way to have cover art "automagically" appear for ripped DVD folders in a fashion similar to what happens for music albums?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

struct

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Is there an automagic way to get cover art for DVD rips?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:05:13 am »

I assume you have seen the PVD (Personal Video Database) and PvdImport option.  Not automagical, but once it is scanned and into PVD, pvdimport is automagical.

I was using mymovies for a while but had trouble with it on some machines. pvd is pretty straightforward with lots of places to get data and posters. can recommend.

Following not meant in a critical way... but could someone from JRiver give a little insight into why MC has not subsumed the IMDB scraping thing and covered videos in a more comprehensive way so that we don't have to go to another program to cover something that is, I falsly imagine, becoming a dominate use of MC.  Similarly, the ability to display and see information about movies is very limited, except if you are using theatre view.  Are there any plans to have some view schemes in the main program that accommodate movie information in a prettier way?  Mostly would just like to know where JRiver are intending to head when it comes to video and TV content display.

Thanks
Craig

LoopyLyle

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 12:01:35 am »

I assume you have seen the PVD (Personal Video Database) and PvdImport option.  Not automagical, but once it is scanned and into PVD, pvdimport is automagical.

Thanks for the tip on PVD, struct! I was able to get PVD, the plugin, and the Firebird server going last night to populate my first set of movie tags and cover art. Yea!  ;D

I was using mymovies for a while but had trouble with it on some machines. pvd is pretty straightforward with lots of places to get data and posters. can recommend.

I'm really curious about this comment considering in a post of yours back in Oct you seemed to get a solution going with MM3 that seemed pretty automated. I would be very interested in any comparisons you have between MM3 and PVD, especially now that MC has recently added better support of MM3 xml files.

Mostly would just like to know where JRiver are intending to head when it comes to video and TV content display.

I also would love to see an answer to this question. Great video handling is vital part of my HTPC usage.

Thanks again for your helpful reply - much appreciated!

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 01:53:05 am »

The MC end of MyMovies was working fine, it was that MM was not able to autoimport from my USB drives, or something like that.  It was ok on an XP machine, but wasn't working on Vista (or was it W7).  Got sick of it and went to PVD.  At the time, MM also wasn't doing TV is a reasonable way.

PVD seemed to just work and with PVDImport giving you the ability to map from one to the other in any manner you liked, it seemed better. But I don't want to pretend that was a well reasoned judgement based on lots of comparison.

I always figured I could write an export tool for PVD that would make a mymovies file if for some reason PVDImport stopped being developed and I wanted to get it into MC.

Craig

PS I have been curious to see if yanfoef would be better (http://www.yanfoef.com/) but have been lazy and PVD is more than good enough for me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up