INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mozilla  (Read 1427 times)

Jazzwolf

• World Citizen
  • Jazz, Classic Rock, Classic 70's NY Salsa
Mozilla
« on: June 29, 2002, 08:04:02 pm »

I have been using Mozilla 1.0 for the last 3 days and I must admit that I really like it. It is much better than that Netscape 6.2 junk that I deleted from my computer. I find that it downloads pages really fast. Has anyone tried it?.. any pros and cons?
It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself - Rick Nelson

geekboy200

RE:Mozilla
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2002, 08:35:54 pm »

Been using Mozilla since about .65, and switched to it exclusively at around .9. It's a terrific browser/suite, that without a doubt includes the best overall e-mail client as well. Granted there are a few UI tweaks it needs and will get, but as far as the editor/composer, it reads, sends and quotes in the most "compatible" fashion I've seen, and believe me, I've tried every e-mail client out there. The tabbed browsing feature, and already included ability to kill pop-ups is great, and with a few add-in projects, you can add some great themes, a banner ad blocker, spell checker and other goodies. Now, the even better news is that Netscape 7PR1 has come a long, long way, and it's latest release (dated 6/24) is based on Moz 1.1a. It includes all the Mozilla goodies, but also an integrated AIM module, ICQ module, and the ability to access Netscape and AOL mail accounts via IMAP. Now, it *does* take some horsepower to run, no question about it, but if your machine is up to it, there is no better browser out there as far as I'm concerned. And no, I didn't participate in the Moz project, and I'm not a Netscape employee. :)

zevele1

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2002, 12:56:21 am »

ALLWAYS THE SAME PROBLEM with netscape 6\7-opera-mozilla

If i use the email client,i have this problem with internet explorer:

If i click on an email link[like my email on this forum] when using ie,i cannot send an email.I got a pop up windows kind of'no setting or shortcut to send email'
Not really this,but you may 'understand' the problem

With netscape 4.7 it is ok.
Do you know how to solve it?

I am really feed up with netscape.Since few weeks,you even cannot acces calendar.email[i mean the IMAP ones].It takes 5,6 minutes to get it

Beside this,you cannot set any email client[execpt netscape one]to open the IMAP netscape mail

I will not use netscape and any of his services anymore,EVER

But would like very much to be able to set opera mail client or mozilla email client to work with i e

Any solution?

Lucy

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2002, 02:26:56 am »

I think Mozilla and Netscape are both slow when run on linux. I tried them on Mandrake 8.2 and Redhat 7.3. The two browsers need a long time to open........( or is it because linux is slow instead?)

Well my computer is: Duron 823Mhz, 256 sdRam, 30GB, etc....though I always feel that linux is running slowly on my computer. Especially REDHAT linux!

So far, I only find Opera linux browser to be the relatively faster

peleton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2002, 04:18:04 am »

Zev:

sorry I don't have a solution for you, but rather another question:

How does Opera work with Hebrew characters for you?

I ask because I have had problems using Opera for reading Chinese and Japanese web pages (in Chinese and Japanese).
The encoding for these types of charaters isn't so good.

Have you had any success reading Hebrew pages in Opera?

Thanks

peleton.

Lucy

to peleton
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2002, 05:07:14 am »

I don't know how to describe but i am able to see Chinese and Japanese webpages with Opera Browser. I am a Chinese.

First, have you installed Chinese and Japanese language support when you installed your linux??? This is very important.

Second, Opera does have a place where you can change the encoding. It is file\preference\document ...something like that...

I hope this helps

zevele1

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2002, 05:42:16 am »

Lucy
I do not understand:
you use Linux and you have media jukebox on your computer and you use it?

Jazzwolf

• World Citizen
  • Jazz, Classic Rock, Classic 70's NY Salsa
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2002, 06:05:44 am »

>>Beside this,you cannot set any email client[execpt netscape one]to open the IMAP netscape mail<<

I've encountered this myself, I have a Netscape webmail account that I can only open up with Netscape's browser. It is REALLY annoying.
It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself - Rick Nelson

zevele1

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2002, 06:06:24 am »

Peleton

Yes and no

Great answer,you may think!

First i use at this time a Windows as you use
Pan-european english.NOT a english\hebrew Windows

The problem with Windows\any no latin language is that Windows is even less stable

without any settings in Opera=encoding set on 'automatic detection' i get most of the sites in hebrew without a problem

there is few sites i have problems with.Get part of the page with@##$%@!**&
Setting from 'view' to hebrew any of of the 2 settings give me only
some '#$%$#@' in hebrew,but not all the page

Now i allmost sure that the problem is the same with all browsers

Will ckeck and tell you in one or 2 hours-the doctor for my knee just rings now

zevele1

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2002, 11:15:10 am »

jazzwolf

In fact you can acces netscape.mail with any browser,but it works or not.Even with netscape you have the same problem
You have to open it from email client.I do not like the look of it,and ,as i said,you cannot send mail from a link in IE with netscape mail

I have[had?] two netscape.net emails.Quite good.5 mb,100% spam free and easy to run
My Nescape was my home page in all browsers,and i used a lot the calendar
But now,or you get your 'my netscape' home page,BUT YOU HAVE TO LOG IN again for email or calendar.It works or not

Or you get the netscape home page.You loog in email,this send you to 'my nestcape',you try again,it is not working.After few minutes,you still do not get your email
On the top of it very very slow,and in 4 minutes you get more cookies than in 2 hours surfing...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is now around 6 or 7 weeks that people have this problem
If you put your email or your calendar  as shortcuts on you desktop or in you toolbars,you do not get the page,but the netscape home page.
From it ....as i say above......

Me ,BASTA!.For the first time in my life i use Outlook Express.

I am still searching for an email i like,a calendar and a home page
Just this! Browser opens on blank page now

But Netscape is finish on my side for ever

Just waiting  to know how to set email client  from Opera or Mozilla to work with IE

IE is not that bad,but you fell it is for mongoloides,not understanding anything

I speak about 5 ,cause 6 is as big a s--t than netscape

I see people on this forum of such quality that i am sure that no one will answer me 'use microsoft home page and hotmail'

But if you know of a set:home page calendar email ,let me know
SPAM FREE ,a small fee not a problem

zevele1

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2002, 11:26:08 am »

Peleton

The pages in hebrew i have problems with using Opera ,give the same
result with IE or Mozilla

And i have IE set for hebrew

Not a browser problem i will say

Will phone this week to one of the site to ask about it

Lucy

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2002, 04:07:20 am »

Zev,

You wonder why I can do this?

I have learned in books that combining windows, and linux on one computer.

1) creat 3 partitions in one hard disk. One for windows98, one for winxp and one for linux (mandrake or redhat)

2) install win98 first. You must do this in this order. install win98 to the "C" drive. REMEMBER to format this drive using FAT system so that you can view win98's files!

Then install Winxp. Put it in another drive when you have entered the install wizard.

3) Lastly, you install linux. Linux intsall wizard can detect the number of logical drives in your hardisc. I assume you know how to install linux when you all mentioned linux.

I have used mandrake 8.2 and redhat 7.2 and 7.3 , I have 3 systems in computer running perfectly! When I want to learn new things I reboot my computer to linux. When I want entertainment, I then reboot to winxp or 98. Hohohoho

Lucy

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2002, 04:11:21 am »

sorry I meant formating winxp drive using FAT, not win98....

linux is powerful, with ext2 or ext3, you can cross view files in drive 98 or XP
Pages: [1]   Go Up