INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Common Library settings for multiple user profiles  (Read 1863 times)

twebb72

• Junior Woodchuck
Common Library settings for multiple user profiles
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:25:57 pm »

Is there a way to locate the J River settings so that they can be shared between profiles?
I have one profile that's is apart of a domain, another that is local.
Similar to post: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51078.0
I figured I would ask *before* messing up my library -- very uncommon of me, shows you how much I enjoy your program ;).

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Common Library settings for multiple user profiles
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:25:06 am »

I'm having my own library questions between 2 machines so this may not be 100% but you can choose the file path for you library if you have 2 instances or more.  So I assume if you have admin rights you can access them.  I'm not in front of jriver so I can't say for sure but I beleive it's in options, library, manage library...something to that effect.  Then point both instances of MC to that location.  on xp it'll be doc & settings\user\app data\j river\media center 14\library.

Provided the file paths for the imported files are the same in each instance of jrmc it should work.  Hope this is what you are looking for.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 01:41:15 pm »

MC is designed to maintain separate data for each Windows user. I have seen an "install for all users" option requested a few times, but I don't know if the developers have plans to add it.

As jroyale said, it is easy to set each user account to use a library that is in a common location. You can clone a current library and create a new library to a simple path like C:\MCstuff\Library with Library Manager. After that you can add that location to each user account. (File > Library > Library Manager > Add...)

However, there will be a problem with the thumbnail cache because the thumbnails will still be created separately for each user. That may cause MC to reset the thumbnails whenever it finds that they are out of sync. I.e. if one user has made changes to the library, another user still loads the old thumbnail cache on startup.

Fortunately, a Windows registry tweak can fix the problem. The location of the thumbnail cache is defined by a registry value. You can change the location to a common location. For example, to C:\MCstuff\TNcache. You must change the location for each user separately. It should be a folder that is on a fast local drive. The key is:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 14\Properties: Thumbnails - Base Path

You can copy the current library files and existing thumbnails to the new location if you want (naturally MC must be closed while you do that), but it might be a good idea to let MC create a new "clean" thumbnail cache.

This tweak changes only the thumbnail cache location. The user options will still be saved separately for each user.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

twebb72

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 08:49:48 pm »

Thanks. I have a lot of hours into my library; just wanted to make sure!
Much appreciated!
Pages: [1]   Go Up