INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View Usage  (Read 1662 times)

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
Theater View Usage
« on: March 07, 2010, 01:21:58 pm »

I am not a new user to Media center but am new with video as I have been using audio for some time.
My question:
I have 4 categories of videos
1 = movies
2 = concerts
3 = TV Shows
4 = Instructional
All are in ISO format
I can import them into MC 14 and can play them with the use of virtual mount from skysoft.
but when using theater view all my movies and concerts, etc show up under Other even though I changed media type from data to video in the ISO files.
They play fine but
I would like to be able to select the videos by group (all videos, or all concerts, etc) and would want them in sequence by Name.
Nothing is appearing in the video tab of theater view only in other???
Please help.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Theater View Usage
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:07:49 pm »

Just as in Standard View, what media appears in a particular view is determined by the Rules for file display attached to the view. I believe the default views are based on Media type, so I'm not sure why you're not seeing your ISO files under Video—but this is the first thing I would check.

Each of your categories are fundamentally different, so you may want to create nested views for them. In other words, create a parent view with whatever Rules for file display are necessary to include all video media. Your child views will inherit these rules. Set the Rules for file display for each child view so it includes only the videos in that category. If you've tagged all your video media with their category, use that field. Alternatively, you may be able to categorize them according to file path. Then, for each view, you can decide what categories, if any, would be helpful for navigating to the desired files (i.e., for narrowing the selection based on genre, year, rating, etc.). Finally, create a File Info templates so the information displayed is appropriate (as you see fit) for video type.

Note that the File Info templates and views are completely independent. So you don't have to use nested views—that is only a suggestion. You can leave all your video in one view, use a media type field to select the desired category, and then rely on your File Info templates to display information appropriate to whatever is selected at the time. Which files a template applies to is determined by Rules for file display attached to the template (and, to the degree those rules are not exclusive, the order in which they are placed).

dbalkunjr

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 08:31:07 am »

I have all my music in one master folder.  I have all my Christmas music in a folder called what else but..."Christmas Music".  When I view it in Theater view all the Christmas music shows up and I don't want that to happen.  I tried making a rule for the Top level Audio category "filepath(name) does not contain christmas".  This works fine, but then I made a subcategory called Christmas music and I set the rule that the filepath DOES contain Christmas".  When I go to that new subcategory nothing shows up.  Now going by what you stated above the children subcategories inherit the rules from the parent and that explains why my method does not work. 

So the question is, How can I accomplish getting my main Audio category to hide my Christmas Music and then have a subcategory within Audio that DOES contain my Christmas Music?

Thanks for any guidance.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 10:41:53 am »

Remove the rule from the top level. Add rules to the child views to include and/or exclude whatever you want in each view.
Pages: [1]   Go Up