INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Group by folder?  (Read 3924 times)

new2hifi

• Recent member
Group by folder?
« on: March 15, 2010, 02:27:37 pm »

Hi

I am new to Media Jukebox and want to group the items in now playing by folder. Currently I can do a similar thing by grouping by filename (path) but then instaed of showing the name of folder on the heading, it showes the whole path. Say, Titanic (1996) is the name of a folder in C drive the it shows c:\Titanic (1996), whereas I just want it to display Titanic (1996).

Please help!

Regards

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Group by folder?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 03:29:24 pm »

Grouping isn't available in the Playing Now list ?

If you want to group other lists by the containing folder, you first need to create a new library field, then group by it...

Create a new field:
In the top toolbar, click on Tools, then click on Options.
From your choices down the left hand side, choose "Library and Folders"
Second from the bottom on the right, choose "Manage library fields". A new dialogue opens...
Click on the "Add new field" button and you will be prompted for a name for your field. Enter a name, Directory, perhaps...
Next, select the "Calculated data" radio button, leave everything else at default.
Paste the blue text into the "expression" field: =ListItem([Filename (path)],Math(ListCount([Filename (path)],\)-1),\)
Press the OK button to accept field changes, press the OK button to accept option changes.

Now, when you choose to group by your new "Directory" field, your list will be grouped by containing directory.

-marko.

new2hifi

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 05:55:01 pm »

Hi marko:

Thank you so much for the help. However, either I couldn't explain better or the method is flawed, it does not arrange them by folder. I want to upload screen shots but unable to do that.

I am perfectly fine with "group by filename (path) if I can only replace the title from "C:\Users\Joe\Music\dBpoweramp\Bombay (1995)" to only "Bombay (1995)" in title. Can you write the code for that?

Regards,

Haroon

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 02:15:26 am »

Well, the blue text in my post above does exactly what you are asking. It retrieves and displays the "Bombay (1995)" part of the file path.

Did you create the new library field using the steps outlined above?

Also, as you stated, we may be talking about different things...
Here's a screenshot showing an audio list grouped using the method I outlined in my previous post:

This an audio list. All my audio files are stored on disk using [artist]\[album] folders, so you could be forgiven for thinking that I've actually grouped by album here. I can assure I have not :)

Is this what you mean when you say "group by"?

-marko

new2hifi

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 12:37:02 pm »

Hi marko:

Thanks again. Yes! this is what I want but somehow it is not working on my PC. Ok! I have uploaded some screen shots on flicker. Please see the following shots and advise me what I am doing wrong.

This is how I store and organize my songs

This is how the group by filename (path) shows my songs

This is how I implemented your suggestion

This is how it is shwoing up

Kindly help me!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 04:01:28 am »

Hokay, pictures help sooo much :)

In your third picture, where you have "Configure library field" showing...

Go back there, put the text in the "Values" field to your clipboard (select and copy) then delete everything from that values field. <--- Important step!!
Next, click on the "Calculated Data" radio button, and paste the string into the "Template" field, then OK your way back out.

All should will not be good after you do that. :(

-marko

EDIT:
You must be using MJ12. I tested using MJ14 which has a revamped field manager, and there, the "Template" field has been renamed to "Expression", hence the possible confusion with my instructions.
Sadly, MJ12 does not have the "math()" expression function, so my string will not work for you unless you move up to MJ14, where you will find that you are unable to apply grouping to the Playing Now file list.
The method I've described will work for you in all other MJ14 file lists though, so, I guess you have to make a call about which is more important to you.
Apologies for the hassle :(

It's possible that you could get there using only the "ListItem" function, but for that to work, all of your music would need to be exactly the same number of folders deep from the drive root. If by some amazing chance this is the case for you, then use =ListItem([Filename (path)],X,\) replacing the bold X with the number of directories from root to files.
That will work in MJ12, but only for files the specified number of directories deep. The expression originally provided will work with MJ14 and any file path you care to throw at it.

new2hifi

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 03:41:09 pm »

Hi marko:

Thank you so much for your kind help and support.

1. The last method worked by using the =ListItem([Filename (path)],X,\) in Calculated Data as all of my music are arranged two folder down the root.

2. Ok, now how can I access my music by folder just as in the following picture thumbnails are coming by artist? I want to have the same view for my folders.

Regards,

Haroon

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 02:51:05 am »

Whoa!

That's theatre view. Are you using Media Center or Media Jukebox? This is the Media Jukebox forum!!

If you click on "Help > About", what version does it say you are using?

new2hifi

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 04:23:21 pm »

Hi marko:

I am experimenting with JRiver Media Jukebox 12.0.49.

I really appreciate all the help.

banmido12345

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 04:11:59 pm »

Hokay, pictures help sooo much :)

In your third picture, where you have "Configure library field" showing...

Go back there, put the text in the "Values" field to your clipboard (select and copy) then delete everything from that values field. <--- Important step!!
Next, click on the "Calculated Data" radio button, and paste the string into the "Template" field, then OK your way back out.

All should will not be good after you do that. :(

-marko

EDIT:
You must be using MJ12. I tested using MJ14 which has a revamped field manager, and there, the "Template" field has been renamed to "Expression", hence the possible confusion with my instructions.
Sadly, MJ12 does not have the "math()" expression function, so my string will not work for you unless you move up to MJ14, where you will find that you are unable to apply grouping to the Playing Now file list.
The method I've described will work for you in all other MJ14 file lists though, so, I guess you have to make a call about which is more important to you.
Apologies for the hassle :(

It's possible that you could get there using only the "ListItem" function, but for that to work, all of your music would need to be exactly the same number of folders deep from the drive root. If by some amazing chance this is the case for you, then use =ListItem([Filename (path)],X,\) replacing the bold X with the number of directories from root to files.
That will work in MJ12, but only for files the specified number of directories deep. The expression originally provided will work with MJ14 and any file path you care to throw at it.
Hi I am also encountering the same porblem, I am using media jukebox 14 and am having trouble organising my songs into groups. I have followed ur instructions as stated but I cannot found "expression" in view a-z. Could you help please?

kurushi

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 08:02:09 am »

Hi Marko you're seamless skin have growing up :D nice effect and how did you have the arrow near the file (the little icon)i was saying this on MC14 but i didn't find it in mc15.
You have also another  little icon what is this?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 02:09:19 pm »

The arrow is there in v15, and shows up in the file list beside artist and album columns, so long as 'linkable columns' are enabled in options. I'm guessing the 'other icon' that's caught your attention is the "Stack Icon" column, which shows me audio files that are in stacks.

kurushi

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 08:59:24 pm »

Thx yes i had disabled linkable columns i need to figure more how it works.
For the stack icon i have checked it but the column have no name & no icon i mean the field is empty ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up