INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noise from conversion  (Read 780 times)

flatom

• Recent member
Noise from conversion
« on: June 29, 2002, 10:15:48 am »

I've been building a media library. I've converted files from higher rates to mp3 @ 128 kpbs and find that I get popping noise in the converted file. Could it be because I do this while listening to music & performing other tasks on my computer while this is being done? Or is this to be expected of a conversion?

Thanks in advance,
flatom

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:Noise from conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2002, 10:24:07 am »

>> I've converted files from higher rates to mp3 @ 128 kpbs
What Rates?
What Media?

What Version Of Media Jukebox Are You Using?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

flatom

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2002, 10:42:56 am »

Typically converting from mp3 format at rates from 192 to 320. I'm using MJ 8.0.293.

I'm converting to 128 kbps in the thinking that it's an optimal setting for good sound at reasonable file size.

On another topic, would it be fair to say that you don't gain quality by converting UP, such as 128 to 160 or 192?

flatom

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2002, 10:58:07 am »

That's correct.

Pops may come from the soundcard or may be caused by PC activity while the conversion is taking place.  It isn't normal.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Pennames

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2002, 11:02:50 am »

It may not be normal, but I've had it too.  I converted a whole album from 320 to VBR (normal/high) and there were three loud pops every five seconds or so.  This can't be because of other activity because it's consistent over the whole album and I left the computer to do the conversion overnight with no other applications (except a screensaver) running.  I really wish I hadn't selected the "delete original file" option because now my album is unlistenable.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2002, 11:08:01 am »

Running Windows XP?

There Have Been Some Problems With Sound Card Drivers, I Had A Problem With Cracks And Pops And I Ended Up Reinstalling Windows XP Like 4 Months Ago.

Listening to: 'If I Can't Have You' from 'Disco Nights Vol. 1 Divas Of' by 'Yvonne Elliman' on Media Jukebox
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

flatom

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2002, 08:26:55 pm »

I coverted a few files from 320 to 128 with nothing else working on the computer & they came out nice & clean. I didn't mess with the sound driver so the only difference is disk activity.

I'm off to convert a batch but, I learned a lesson that Pennames also encountered, I saved copies to a different folder before converting. I found that the original file in it's original format is gone after converting. The original becomes a wav file in temp storage & is huge. Maybe a conversion of the wav file back to its original format would work out OK but it seems like the file may be degraded by messing with it too much.

BTW, I've used Real Jukebox up to ver. 7 to play CD's & was happy with it. Once I got serious about storing music to disc I became dissatisfied. I've been real happy with MJ 8 & am not looking back.

flatom
Pages: [1]   Go Up