INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 15.0.16 erased my videos  (Read 2826 times)

LarryASilva

• Recent member
Media Center 15.0.16 erased my videos
« on: April 03, 2010, 03:08:51 pm »

I have been a registered user of JRiver Media Center for many years.  I have been using version 14 for months with no problems.  I installed version 15 (15.0.16) on 04/02/10.  I decided to import all my audio and video files fresh and not copy the info from version 14.  I have ONE subdirectory with my videos in it off my C: drive.  When the import process was complete, I went back to the directory.  All of my videos in that subdirectory were GONE !.  A search of the hard disk shows they are gone and are not in the Recycle Bin.  Interestingly, my video subdirectory now has added to it 42 mostly 1k files with the extention of .JMD.  These tiny .JMD files were created on 04/02/10 between 1139 and 1145 PM.  This is the same date/time that Media Center 15 was working to catalog my videos into a new library.  Perhaps I have been lucky all these years....I have been playing with computers since the green screen CRT days of the original IBM PC.  I have never had a program wipe out all the data files in a particular directory.  Still, I do not pretend to know everything about how the JRiver Media Center 15 operates.  Does anybody have a clue what has happened here?  I would think that the first clue is finding out why those 42 files with the .JMD extention were placed in my video file directory.  Thank you for your thoughts in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center 15.0.16 erased my videos
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 03:12:47 pm »

jmd are MC's library files.

I don't think MC could have removed your video files.

If you told MC the directory was it's temp directory, that might cause a problem.  Check all your file location settings, the Library location, and the Video location.

Try a search for your files.

What were the directory names?

LarryASilva

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 03:38:19 pm »

Gosh, I sure hope you are right and that all my .M2TS files are on the hard disk someplace!  However, I have done a search on C: and COMPUTER for M2TS files and can only find OLDER video files I previously had put into other subdirectories.  The only directory that seem affected is the one I kept my recently recorded files in.  It is named: C:\$ HAUPPAUGE 1212 RAW CAPTURES.  I put the $ as the first character in the folder name so that it would appear at the top of the list when I opened C:
Any idea what caused Media Center to put those 42 little files with the file extention of .JMD into my video directory?  Some of the names are:
field (bookmark).JMD
field (duration).JMD
removable.JMD

Thank you.  I realize I was trying Beta software and that I should have backed up my videos before doing anything.  Guess I got lazy because every upgrade I ever got from Media Center over the years worked without a hitch.  Curiously...the new library for all my audio files is just fine; still have all my audio files in their original directories and searches/playing works normally.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 04:07:25 pm »

JMD files are your media library files.  

By default, the program's media library is in [Application Data]\J River\Media Center 15\Library

You can move your media library to any folder using Library Manager.  The library must be placed in a folder the program has full ownership of since it removes files not related to the library.

Is it possible you added a new library in your video folder?  

I think we better make the program do more checking when a user adds a new library so that it warns if you use a folder with files in it.  I'm very sorry this caused you problems.

It's possible an undelete utility might be able to undo the file deletion.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up