INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big delay / MC unreponsive when added new My Connected Media URL  (Read 1524 times)

tjobbins

• World Citizen

Hi all

I am experincing MC going unresponsive while adding a new My Connected Media URL, for internet radio stations.

Example of a URL I want to add: http://bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r6.asx

I have tested on two different PCs, and the issue is the same on both.  Both systems are running Windows 7 64bit, and the MC versions are 14.0.155 and .136.

What happens is:

• I do File -> Open URL, enter my URL and tick 'Show web media options'
  • In the Connected Media dialogue, click Add Stream To Web Media, and give it a proper name.
  • Wait for 1-2 minutes, during which MC is unresponsive and CPU usage is high.  The screen freezes, and if I alt-tab away from MC, then I can't refocus it, clicking its Task Bar icon does not show MC.  In Task Manager, I can see JRWorker.exe and Media Center 14.exe both taking varying amounts of CPU.  However, if audio was playing when I added the site, then this continues to play.
  • Eventually, it starts playing the new radio station that I just added, and MC becomes usable again.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Big delay / MC unreponsive when added new My Connected Media URL
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 04:41:27 pm »

ASX is a special format:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Systems_Format

So it may not work.  I tried your link from IE and it looked like nothing was happening for a minute or two and then MC began playing the music from it.

It might actually work if you wait long enough.

tjobbins

• World Citizen
Re: Big delay / MC unreponsive when added new My Connected Media URL
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 05:14:10 pm »

ASX is a special format:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Systems_Format

So it may not work.  I tried your link from IE and it looked like nothing was happening for a minute or two and then MC began playing the music from it.

It might actually work if you wait long enough.

Hi Jim

Yes, as I mentioned, it does work eventually - if I wait about 2 minutes, during which MC is non-responsive and is using high CPU, then after that the URL does get added to My Connected Media OK and start playing fine.

If I go to that URL in Internet Explorer, or Firefox, it gives me a download option within about 3 seconds.  It does not freeze IE.  But I guess that's because IE is not trying to auto-open it, where for you I think it is.  (If I choose Open on the download link, then MC auto-opens it, and the 2 minute freeze occurs.)

You are correct that it is related to being an ASX stream.  I just tried doing Open URL on a MP3 stream from Sky.FM, and there was no freeze.

So the bug is:  Using Open URL to access an ASX stream causes MC to freeze for 2 minutes using high CPU. This only happens with Open URL; accessing the same ASX URL via an existing My Connected Media link gives no pause/no freeze.

It's the latter point that I think definitely points to this being a bug - if I use My Connected Media to open an ASX URL that I already saved, it works immediately; no freeze, no issues.  It's only when Open URL is used to play the URL that this freeze happens.  So if you can make Open URL behave the same as opening an existing My Connected Media URL, that will be great.

Thanks

Tom

Pages: [1]   Go Up