INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am curious: anyone ever subscribed to Emusic.com??  (Read 3239 times)

Lucy

I am curious: anyone ever subscribed to Emusic.com??
« on: June 29, 2002, 07:26:20 am »

My curiosity is:

although you can access unlimited music for paying just 9.9 dollars per month, all of its music are only 128kbps only....do the music really sound like an audio CD?

zevele1

RE:I am curious: anyone ever subscribed to Emusic.com??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2002, 07:30:25 am »

Lucy
Do a hamburger tastes as a TBone steak?

I use Emusic.I feel that the deal is not bad.But you get 128kps mp3

peleton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2002, 07:39:35 am »

do they have any mp3's with higher bitrates than 128?

p.

Lucy

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2002, 07:39:53 am »

Thank you Ze..

Emusic requires customers to committ for 12 months or 3 months(acutually i think it is like a contract). Anyone can really download good music EVERY month? Because Emusic does not have one-time fee, so I am a bit uncertain whether to subscribe or not.....

Actually i found some good New Age music at that site, but I am not sure if I want to committ for 12 months....I won't choose the 3months plan cuz too expensive....

Please feel free to post opinion here!

zevele1

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2002, 07:49:55 am »

Lucy

I do not know about New Age music on Emusic

Have a look at the list they have.If you see there is a lot,it means that you will get new albums very often.If not ,means they do not put that much of this kind of music

You may as well have a look at other kind of music you like .To see if the deal is a good one for you

Do not remember the price for 3 months,i have one year for the second year

For me they have a fantastic catalogue in alternative-punk-alternative country,and i find the deal a very good one

But it is only 128 kps mp3

This can change soon

They are changing many things at this time.Maybee you can wait a little ,to see about the 'new things'

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2002, 11:24:20 am »

I downloaded like 70,000 mp3's from EMusic In One Month

Most Of The Time It Worked

there is some good music on it.

Listening to: 'We Are Family' from 'Disco 70'S 80'S Kaufleuten' by 'Sister Sledge' on Media Jukebox
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2002, 11:30:22 am »

Hi Lucy,

I subscribe and I like it. The quality is not bad, altough it would be nice to have higher bitrate. I like it because it has a good selection in Jazz, Blues and World music. Also I enjoy exploring all sort of other genre whenever I feel like.

I have the 3 months contract .. I believe I'll continue to stick with them. Long term will depend on the material that they add

Claudio

Lucy

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2002, 05:39:41 pm »

Thank you so much for everyone's advice!

I have asked people everywhere: yahoo's chat room, teentalk.com,etc...but no one answered me! And some said they had never heard of Emusic.com too.

I like MJ's community.

I think I will purchase MJ8.0 first. Then I will decide if I should subscribe to Emusic.com....Actually I have used similar service - Mp3.com's Primier Listener's service (2.99 dollars per month).....but i quited after 2 months because there are so many artists in Mp3.com that I could not have enough time to explore them...just like a small fish in a big sea

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2002, 05:45:32 pm »

Lucy,
You are a big fish here.  It's really nice to have a voice from Hong Kong.  Tell us more of what you see when you have time.

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Lucy

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2002, 06:00:09 pm »

I was shocked when someone said I was a big fish..."Fish" in Chinese is used to descibe stupid people...I am not not sure if it means the same in English...But I guess you have good intentions

Or are you warning me?

I am studying sociology in Hong Kong.

Hank the Dwarf

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2002, 06:24:02 pm »

<
Or are you warning me?>>

When we want to warn you, we send a dead fish rolled up in a newspaper.  That's called a Sicilian message.  In your case, I'm POSITIVE that JimH was paying you a complement by calling you a big fish.  In other words, he probably means that you are just as important as all the other fish, err, I mean people here.  I hope watching The Godfather is included in your sociology studies in Hong Kong.

mike68

• drivermusic , technology
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2002, 09:02:23 pm »

Hi lucy , i have pondered on the idea of subscribing to one of these download sites but have yet to find any that offer a great deal of choice in music , well not what i want ayway : )

peleton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2002, 11:59:23 pm »

Lucy:
did Mp3.com have any music at bitrates above 128kbps?

thanks
p.

zevele1

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2002, 12:42:27 am »

NO,all at 128 kps mp3

Beside this ,there is really good music on mp3.com
A very nice thing is that you can search by countrys

Since few months,you really need to have a pop up blocking software to surf there

What Lucy took is a service where you can burn on the fly ,from the streaming,without downloading the song first.Do not know how it works

Frankly you do not need it,even if to surf inside mp3.com is sometimes slow

If you fell like you can try the mp3.com service free,you just need to give an email

If you have a fast internet connection,you can stream playlists

You can search for Israel,a lot of bands are here,let say quitte a lot
Would be happy to help if you tell me the kind of music you like

Are you ready for July 6th?After the disaster of the giro?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2002, 03:16:55 am »

>>> When we want to warn you, we send a dead fish rolled up in a newspaper.
Yep, Or Send Someone Over To Your House Called Bubba
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

tullio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2002, 07:43:26 am »

Lucy,

I'm in my second year with EMusic and have found it very useful.  The selection of music is quite good, considering that they don't draw from the major labels.  The Classical selection is weak, and the spoken/oral selections are very limited, but most others are quite good, and will almost certainly get better now that they have merged with MP3.com.

In English we have a proverb:  "It is better to be a big fish in a little pond than a little fish in a big pond."  In other words, it is better to be an important person in a small community than an unimportant person in a large one.  JimH was telling you that this forum may be small, but here you are an important person, from your first post, and that you will always be treated here with respect.  And in time you will learn that he is absolutely justified in making this claim.

Lucy

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2002, 04:41:28 pm »

Thank you Tu..^_^

peleton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2002, 12:48:47 am »

thanks zev,

unfortunately it is not worth it for me to subscribe to one of these services for now. -It costs me too much just in downloads.
(I pay $0.13per MB, so about $10 for a CD's worth of mp3's)

I have to really like a song (and not be able to get it anywhere else) if I am going to download it.

Oh well. -I am working on a proposal to my College for a secondary service provider for lower bandwidth at a flat rate.
we'll see how that goes.

-Anyway I am now counting down the days until the 6th!

It will certainly be interesting this year!

and Lucy:
        I have to agree with tullio's statement about MJ Interact.

peleton.

Roger the Shrubber

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2002, 01:59:05 am »

Go Cadel!!!

(I'm a mountain biker at heart)

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2002, 02:59:46 am »

Lucy:

Tullio is quite right. EMusic is very strong in some genres, and weak in others. Jazz is quite good, for instance, with large parts of the Fantasy catalogue, meaning Prestige, Milestone, Pablo etc. That's really why I subscribe. 128 kbps is passable. As others have commented, once you burn it to CD and play it in your audio system, the difference is noticeable, but not enough to make a difference to me.

Let us know what you decide to do.

HTH

Listening to: 'A Sunkissed Rose' from 'Brown Rose' by 'Lucky Thompson' on Media Jukebox

Lucy

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2002, 04:54:31 am »

Oh, Harry I have purchased MJ8 12 hours ago! I like this music tools

As for Emusic.com, I am still not sure. I am bad at Economics. But I guess if I were to subscribe to Emusic, then I have to preserve other services too such as my broadband connection (which costs me Hong Kong dollars $330((US$42)) per month), etc. And I have to stay in front of my computer often in order to download its music (fully extremely explosively utilize the 3 month contract).

Let's count: US$42 |PLS| US$15(Emusic fees@3 months contract) = US$57 per month (for 3 months). I would be shocked if I could spend such a great amount of money on internet related activities.

But on the other hand, even if i do not use Emusic, I will still use my broadband connection, because the service guarantees me unlimited online hours (that is broadband @ US$0.06 per hour). My computer is online almost 20 hours a day.

If I used Emusic's three-month contract, then after October I will be "free" again and back to my university studies. But then I would not be able to catch up with new good music.

Yes, I really like its Jazz catalog.

zevele1

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2002, 06:02:50 am »

YOU DO NOT NEED TO STAY IN FRONT OF YOUR COMPUTER TO DOWNLOAD FROM EMUSIC

You just have to use download manager -the one you have with Media Jukebox-If you wish to have all the songs from Emusic at the same place ,you can open a Explorer folder 'Emusic"
You set download manager to download in this folder

After that you surf Emusic,when you see am album you like you click at the butom "one click download album'
This means that with one click you will download all the songs from this album
And so on,another one,and another one

YOU DO NOT NEED TO WAIT FOR THE FIRST ALBUM TO BE DOWNLOADED TO DOWNLOAD ANOTHER ONE

Just fill download manager with 5 or 10 or 20 or 45 albums to download
,go to sleep and when you wake up ,listen to it

Means that in 3 months,you can get enougth music for all your year at university

I never been to Hong-Kong

PeterS

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2002, 06:19:53 am »

If you like what emusic has to offer, then you can subcribe for a free trial of the service through this special link:
http://www.emusic.com/subscription/index.html?fref=147475/
It is the same Emusic link that appears on the MJ Start page.

Subscribing through this link means that MJ gets the credit for the sign-up, which in turn means that we have more influence, and thus an opportunity to create a tighter integration between MJ and their service.

We already have a good relationship with them, and we would like to see them succeed as a subscription service (with some modifications, of course!). Ideally, we would like them use MJ as the default player/organizer for downloads.

If you get the chance, let them know you are an MJ user.

Thanks,
Peter

Lucy

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2002, 10:02:03 pm »

Hey I have placed an Emusic subscription (3month contract). Their jazz library is really impressing. I have downloaded many tracks of George Shearing. And I am surprised that Emusic has albums of famous classical pianists like Rubinstein and Alfred Brendel! What's more ...they have Mary Black!

The problem is that sound quality is only OK but not amazing. And especially when listen to female vocal from Emusic with MJ8 DSP on, the vocal voice seems distorted and "filled with bubbles"....But turning off DSP helps.

15 dollars a month for frequent use is still worth. Hope can download at least 5 good albums per month.
Pages: [1]   Go Up