INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High CPU use after resuming from Sleep Mode  (Read 2616 times)

SimonT

• Recent member
High CPU use after resuming from Sleep Mode
« on: March 21, 2010, 03:16:12 pm »

I seem to be seeing this effect lately on both Vista and Win7 PCs with MC14.  I normally have the Media Server enabled (start up option) and I'm wondering if this has something to do with it.  It doesn't happen every time, but when it does MC grabs 100 percent of (one of) the CPU cores and the only way to fix it is to kill the process.  When I then restart MC, everything works normally again.  It seems to happen with (at least) the last few versions of MC, although I'm afraid I can't pin it down to specifics.  If no one else has seen a similar issue, I will try to trace it down locally.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
Simon T.

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: High CPU use after resuming from Sleep Mode
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 03:01:05 am »

Could be your network adaptor. Especially if your media is stored on a network share and you have AutoImport enabled. MC might be trying to "talk" to file shares that are not yet available (immediately after resuming). I've seen this before. Try disabling any power save options on the network adaptor (under Windows device manager).
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

SimonT

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 02:45:07 pm »

Thanks for the quick response - that does describe my situation.  I will try disabling auto-import and see if things improve.  I don't remember having this issue in previous MC incarnations however - might it be possible to build in some sort of check to avoid this happening?

SimonT

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 02:49:28 am »

Yes - disabling Auto Import seems to have fixed this problem.  Would it be possible to have some form of inbuilt check as remembering to manually import defeats the idea of auto import really?

Thanks for the help.

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 05:22:09 am »

Yes - disabling Auto Import seems to have fixed this problem.  Would it be possible to have some form of inbuilt check as remembering to manually import defeats the idea of auto import really?

Thanks for the help.

Did you check your NIC settings? Disabling any power off options on the Network card during standby will probably solve the issue for you. Also, UNC paths for files in your library may work better than using mapped drive letters. Windows is natorious for failing to wake mapped drives up when they havn't been in use for a while.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

SimonT

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 10:45:19 am »

Yes - checked the NIC for the desktop, can't do this for the (wireless) latop.  I will see what difference using absolute links to the NAS makes.  Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up