INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to make Media Center take focus?  (Read 1478 times)

trentino

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
How to make Media Center take focus?
« on: April 24, 2010, 11:19:32 pm »

I run Media Center from a PC located in a "computer niche" to the side of our family room.  I will often be watching something on the couch in Theater View while my wife is in the computer niche surfing the web from the computer running media center.

Should I want to navigate Media Center with the remote I have to ask her to give focus to Media Center and wait for my to do my browsing.

Other times, someone will have left the PC with a different program "in focus".  I can't use Theater View until I go over to the PC and click the Media Center icon in the task bar so that it has focus.  I've now trained my 3 year old how to click to give focus to Media Center so that I don't have to get off the couch!   :D

Is there anyway around this all?

Can I program my remote with a button that will give Media Center focus?  Most native MC commands work without Media Center having focus -- except for the navigation buttons.  Can't the navigation buttons be made "core commands" so that when I click down on the remote I don't end up scrolling down my wife's web browser?

Oh yeah... if it helps, I'm using an RF Harmony Remote programmed with Windows Media Center Remote commands.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to make Media Center take focus?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 07:27:55 am »

You could try switching to Theater View and back.

F11 several times

or the Green Button  (special button for WMC).

trentino

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 01:18:20 pm »

Thanks Jim.

Is "Toggle View" (F11) already assigned to a MCE remote key or does that need to be learned?

Is there anywhere to see which MCE remote keys are associated with Media Center commands by default and which are not?

I've set Media Center up to use the MCE remote.  When I go to remote control commands, all functions under "learned trigger code" are set to ?.  So I don't know which functions are assigned to a remote key by default and which are not.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 01:48:29 pm »

F11 isn't assigned to any remote key.  Did you try pressing the Green Button (or its equivalent)?  Press it several times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up