INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conversion to Apple lossless for Ipod sync  (Read 2871 times)

Quest

Conversion to Apple lossless for Ipod sync
« on: March 30, 2010, 04:31:47 am »

Hi, I know MC does not support this natively but can't seem to get my external encoder to work.
So far I found out that we can do it through dbpoweramp command line.. but it keeps returning me an error.
I am using the string (%IN and %OUT from what i recall are MC's strings):

Coreconverter.exe -infile="%IN" -outfile='%OUT" -convert_to="Apple Lossless"

Identified the output file as .m4a
Is there anything I am missing?

dlmax63

• World Citizen
Re: Conversion to Apple lossless for Ipod sync
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 06:34:50 pm »

I too use dBpoweramp for apple lossless (m4a) to my 16Gb Ipod, but I don't use the command line method. I simply select the files to convert and use the right click method.

Have you tried using the batch converter without the command line (Start >> Programs >> dBpoweramp Music Converter >> dBpoweramp Batch Converter). It seems pretty strait-forward and you can still define the file location/naming structure through the interface. I tried it on a few albums located in different folders and it worked fine for me. Make sure you have the appropriate codecs already installed for each of the file types you are converting from.

Windows 7 x64
> 10,000 m4a files, >1,500 mp3 files
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

Quest

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 04:43:42 am »

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am able to get it to convert using that method but it doesn't work within the MC interface. The point of going through MC is so that I don't have to have 2 copies (AIFF and ALAC) of the same file within the same library.

Unless MC has a easy way to manage this.. guess I need to explore further.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 04:13:23 pm »

yes, it would be nice to do it seamlessly through MC. Since MC doesn't natively support m4a (requiring at the minimum quicktime) I've always used dBpoweramp by itself to do the conversions. I wish MC would handle this itself, but I long ago gave up on this one.

I suggest making a smartlist to look for duplicates and sort by filetype. Then you can select all of the aiff files and shift+delete to remove them from the library (or remove and delete).

BTW, use Haali or DC-Bass source filter instead of quicktime to enable replay gain if you are so inclined. Then you can use sound check on your iPod if you want to.

Quest

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 02:22:27 am »

I see, thanks for sharing.
Am aware MC14 does not support m4a natively, but I was under impression that we can use dbpoweramp's line command mode to key into MC14's external encoder line to work..

Rather than playlists, I think making separate libraries would be better. If MC14 is unable to handle then maybe just have both itunes (ALAC) + MC14 (AIFF + mp3 conversion).

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 06:18:41 pm »

This was bugging me so I converted some of my m4a files to aif. I then used the external encoder option to run conversions through MC. It worked for me,... but... no tags were written to the m4a files. I don't know if this is due to MC or dBpoweramp on the tags. I did go ahead and post a question in the dBpoweramp forum regarding this. The response on the dBpoweramp forum was "I think j river creates a temp file without the tags?". Does anyone here have any idea which direction to go to address this issue?

The parameters I used are: -infile="%IN" -outfile="%OUT" -convert_to="Apple Lossless"
(These parameters include a syntax fix to your original post where you inadvertently had an apostrophe instead of a quote preceding the % in your out parameter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up