INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reasonable request - permissions/authentication  (Read 2277 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Reasonable request - permissions/authentication
« on: April 01, 2010, 05:58:08 pm »

While I am basically required to grant full read and write permissions on the server to all the media I think Media Center should offer more in the area of security and authentication.  It always worries me that someone could inadvertently overwrite a ton of tags or delete files on a HTPC.  It would be very useful if thresholds could be set where if a large amount of data was going to be changed -- or even small if the user desires it -- then a simple, quick password prompt would pop up.  Otherwise, just an "are you really sure" dialog box.

Has anyone ever used SVN in conjunction with a media library?  It's tempting because then every time a file got changed, it would be obvious as it would show up as changed and the change could be reverted if the need arose.  Shadow copy helps quite a bit here but I can't count on catching all the mistakes that can take place.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
Re: Reasonable request - permissions/authentication
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 06:08:22 pm »

One thought here: Your tags are protected fairly well  by the automatic MC library backups

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 06:25:22 pm »

One thought here: Your tags are protected fairly well  by the automatic MC library backups

Only if the mistakes are noticed in time. I.e. before the backup locations contain only newer backup files or before there are lots of other intended changes... :)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 11:14:52 pm »

Exactly.  That's the part that irritates me to think of other people using a HTPC with them making changes you don't want.  It would be great if a small indicator would show on all theater view screens indicating the level of the user--perhaps three simple levels: read only (or very limited write access); moderate capability (perhaps change up to 50 tags per hour); administrator.

I just look at all the time put into this over the past 4 years and sometimes, when I find uncertainties, wonder if I made the mistake back then or if someone inadvertently changed the setting.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 03:41:44 pm »

Party mode?
Pages: [1]   Go Up