INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping with MJ and playing on other device later  (Read 624 times)

scott

Ripping with MJ and playing on other device later
« on: June 28, 2002, 03:09:10 pm »

When you rip a CD with MJ and choose an encoding option mp3 or wma, etc.  the file will still appear as a Media Jukebox file within windows explorer.  If I rip 15 discs and burn a cd with those files, can I then dump those onto a different computer and play those with some other media player like windows media player or quicktime, etc?  Or do I have to use MJ in order to hear those files again?

-Scott

nila

RE:Ripping with MJ and playing on other device later
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2002, 03:25:07 pm »

You can use them on whatever computer you want with whatever program you want.

The fact they show as MediaJukebox files has nothing to do with anything except something called 'file association' in Windows.
An mp3 file is a standardised format that all computers recognise.
If they can play mp3's then they can play mp3's ripped and encoded with anything.

File association is basically just how windows knows what type of files you are dealing with and so it has a program set as the standard program to open/edit/view/play etc that type of file.
Even on your computer you can play those files with other software (eg winamp).
All the association means is that if you double click on it, the default action associated with that file type will happen and in this case it is to play it in Media Jukebox.

So dont worry, rip with MJ and play whereever and whenever you want.

phatrabt

RE:Ripping with MJ and playing on other device later
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2002, 03:26:43 pm »

You can burn those files to a disk and listen to them on any player that has the ability to play mp3.  The only thing you can't do is put it in a regular CD player and play them (unless you have an in-dash mp3 player).  Hope this helps.  

phatrabt
Pages: [1]   Go Up