INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stability problems  (Read 9072 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Stability problems
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2010, 10:28:24 am »

I have to say that your frequently repeated opinion that it is a problem with MC does not help.  If your machine is unresponsive, as you clearly describe, there is clearly a hardware or driver issue with the machine.

That it happens with MC15, but not with MC14 is meaningless.  It just means that the particular set of conditions that trigger the problem occur with one piece of software and not another.  It is not proof that there is a bug in MC15.

So please stop offering your opinion that MC15 is flawed.  It's possible, but that still wouldn't explain a machine that is locked.

You might be better off to search the Internet for similar problems.  Report what you find.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2010, 10:30:33 am »

It does not happen when I do not use power management on the monitor

That's a good place to start your search.

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2010, 10:59:22 am »

I appologise for responding sarcastically but at least its nice to know that your software, MC15, could not be flawed.  To a user this has the "pass the buck" feel to it.  I suppose I must drop the issue then.... ?  I am not getting the problem in any other circumstances and I am on the latest drivers.

Nice.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2010, 11:06:12 am »

I'm not asking you to drop it.  I'm asking you not to pre-judge the cause. 

I did not say that MC15 was flawless.  I said only that I don't think your problem is a result of an MC15 flaw.

There are many problems associated with Windows sleep.  A search will quickly show that. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2010, 11:18:47 am »

What if you pause ASIO playback, and just keep using the computer normally?

Does it ever have a problem?  Does the Media Center 15.exe process memory, handle, or other resource usage grow or do anything else strange?

It sounds like the soundcard resets (maybe from power management) after some amount of time.  Trying to talk to it with a previously established connection deadlocks at a hardware level at that point.

Unfortunately, I've never seen anything like this myself.  Is WASAPI or stopping instead of pausing a workable option?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2010, 12:39:13 pm »

It might be Microsoft's Security Essentials.  I had similar hard-lock issues with MC14, MSSE, and Windows 7 on my machine.  In my case, since I was on a dual-core CPU, I was able to continue using the system, though 1 cores on the system would "peg" for a period.  On an Atom, I'd guess it would feel like the system was completely locked.

More info (and a solution, if so) here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55242.msg375790#msg375790

The issue was somewhat random and machine specific.  I use MSSE on most of my machines, but I only had to take these steps on two of them in the end (my laptop mentioned in the above thread, and one of my machines at work with a quad core behaved the same way).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2010, 12:56:30 pm »

There is no other software installed on this machine.  MC15 and hardware drivers is all there is.  I elliminated everything else.  You can pause while in monitor power down with out a problem.  you can pause with out a problem while using a screen saver rather than monitor power down.

Actually, I am getting no where so I am dropping this. I wil just use a darn screen saver. I am tired ofdiscussing this and getting nothing but "its your hardware" instead of ways to diagnose it further.  If not for me this issue would not have gone this far.  I guess those others with this same issue will follow suit... disable all power management and use a screen saver. Just go with the flow... You should make sure this is part of your install guide.

Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2010, 04:38:02 pm »

I was just guessing, since I saw in your initial report that you said you had only Windows, MC, and Microsoft Security Essentials installed.  Figured it was worth checking MSSE, since I had experienced that one unusual (but relatively isolated) problem.

But, it looked to me like Matt just tried to help.  And in response now you say "getting nothing but 'its (sic) your hardware' instead of ways to diagnose it further"?  How do you expect to get help with the issue when you ignore questions and suggestions from the developers?

I can say this... I have quite a few systems with MC installed, including one that runs it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  I make SUBSTANTIAL use of power saving features on my systems and have not had hard-locks related to using MC (14 or 15).  The 24/7 system regularly runs for MONTHS at a time without requiring a restart or reboot, including going to sleep at night and being programmatically woken up in the morning.  The only time I even have to restart MC is to update to newer builds every so often.  So, that's why they wouldn't make it part of the "install guide".  There aren't rampant similar reports from other users.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2010, 04:58:11 pm »

I am not associated with JRiver, but am a user of their products. As a developer, I can tell you that Jim is correct, and if the entire computer locks up, it is a driver issue. It is not possible for a program to "HOG" all the resources in Windows so it locks up. The only thing that can do that is a driver or other low level component. From the replies on the thread I think JRiver has been trying to help you resolve the issue even though the issue lies with a non JRiver component. That is good service and part of the reason I use their products.

The fact that 14 works and 15 doesn't is meaningless. They are not the same program. They interact with the system differently and while one may expose a driver issue, the other may not. From personal experience I've had an issue with hardware lockups upon resuming windows from sleep etc. It to only happened when I had JRiver running in Theatre View. Turns out it was the wireless mouse and keyboard from Logitech. I had to find the "parts of it" under HID Devices in Device Manager and uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer" under the power management tab. After that the computer worked fine.

This is not to say that what I did will work for you, but narrowing down which driver causes the issue is the avenue you have to pursue. There is no why JR can guess what "magical combination of code" won't make it choke. I would google for information on lock ups when resuming computer. Keep an eye out for information on hardware you may own. Also, at the very least make sure you have updated drivers for EVERYTHING in your computer. What seems simple may not be.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2010, 05:12:14 pm »

Out of curiosity what happens if you skip monitor power down and go straight for s3 sleep?
I've recently resolved a problem where if I had "Allow this device to wake the computer" turned off then my keyboard and mouse would refuse to work after resume.
The inverse of Gvanbrunts problem.

I have a Microsoft laser mouse, and the smallest air current would cause the system to restart in the middle of the night.  Which was a problem due to it being in my room.

After Googling I found some threads regarding "ForceHCResetOnResume" in the registry. After setting this flag my problem was resolved, and an odd side effect is the power button works more reliably on my remote as well...
Probably way off your problem, but I thought I'd mention it.

Unfortunately for me MC never works after resume, as I run it straight off an external drive, which takes about 20 seconds to come back to life after Windows has resumed.  By the time it's started Windows has declared the MC process as dead!  Sadly I believe that ones Microsoft's problem... I don't expect a fix any time soon...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up