INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playstation3 Video Playback Stuttering - Convert Video Option  (Read 1354 times)

JoeCotellese

• Recent member

Hi,

I'm trying to get video playback working on my PS3 using MC15. I have a few m4v videos encoded with handbrake. When I play them directly from my PS3 hard drive, they play fine. When I try to stream them via MC15 the playback stutters occasionally.

If I check the convert video option under DLNA, playback works ok. However, now, the aspect ratio of the videos are wrong. They look like they are anamorphic videos played on a 4:3 television - vertically squished.

What if anything can I do with the convert video option to remedy this? You guys help me get this working, you have a customer for life :)

denisr

• Recent member
Re: Playstation3 Video Playback Stuttering - Convert Video Option
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 10:58:28 am »

I'm already a "customer for life" and I'm having exactly the same problem as JoeCotellese.  I have a selection of MP4 AVC/H.264 footage recorded on my new Samsung CG10 camcorder.  It plays back perfectly from a memory stick plugged into my PS3.  It also plays back perfectly in MC15 on my PC but when I try to view it via DLNA on my PS3 it stutters.  Switching on the "convert video" option in MC15 removes the stuttering on the PS3 but squashes the aspect ratio, making everything look too tall and thin.

All my non-MP4 footage plays back fine on my PS3 via MC15 and DLNA.

I realise this limited description of the problem may not give you much to go on so please let me know if there's any other info you require about my set-up in order to try to diagnose what's wrong.

Regardless of this problem, I must say I'm loving the good work you guys are doing on the DLNA capabilities of MC.  When I bought my PS3 six months ago it was just with the intention of playing a few games and blu-rays (I hadn't even heard of DLNA at that stage) but together with MC it has now become a real hub for all my media viewing and listening.

Keep up the good work.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playstation3 Video Playback Stuttering - Convert Video Option
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 10:25:05 am »

Hmmm, interesting...

IIRC, the stuttering was caused by a too high bit rate for streaming w/ DLNA.  This seems to be a PS3 thing. You could try a lower bitrate file and see if it does the same.

The conversion is determined by the key <upnpdvd> in the Plugins/ffmpeg.xml file. You can tweak that for aspect ratio I'd think though I thought it was supposed to retain the aspect ratio. Have you checked to see what the playback display mode is set to on the PS3? You can do that while playing with the triangle button IIRC.

This seems to work for me:
<upnpdvd>-target ntsc-svcd -ps 2000000000 -b 2000k -minrate 2000k -maxrate 2000k</upnpdvd>
Pages: [1]   Go Up