INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Customize View Options  (Read 2964 times)

eba

• Galactic Citizen
Customize View Options
« on: April 24, 2010, 01:44:43 pm »

Not sure whether this has already been covered elsewhere, apologies if so, couldn't see it anywhere.

What's happened with the Customize View options?
We can no longer select View as Panes and Details/Artists Thumbnails/Album Thumbnails from the header  :(
If this is staying as is I'll probly go back to MC14 :-\

Also, why the reduced options for Thumbnail spacing?  Ok, I understand it was perhaps a little complicated before, but the Small/Medium/Large options are useless!  After selecting one to see how the new options worked and then realising I couldn't get it back, I had to do a Library Restore.  I've always had my spacing at 35x35, somewhere between small and medium...maybe a slider in the Advanced options in addition to Small/Medium/Large?

Otherwise MC15 is looking good :)

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Customize View Options
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 03:13:01 am »

except for 'panes' they are still there. the way its organized is a bit different and has much more options then before. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=57061.0 but they are still there.
the fact that panes are missing in that list could be a bug, or inherent to this change..

:)
gab

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 01:20:06 pm »

Thanks for the reply, though I'm still somewhat confused.

In MC14, under Show categories in this order, I have Album Artist (auto) followed by Album.
Then under View as I had Album thumbnails selected (but I could easily change to Artists Thumbnails with a single click).

In MC15 to get the same view, I have to remove Album Artist (auto) from the Categories altogether.  (After installing a build a few weeks back my view suddenly changed until I removed it).  To get to Artists Thumbnails I then have to go into Customise View and add it back in.

I'm describing Audio here as it's simpler, though in reality it's not going to bother me much as I never really want Artist Thumbnails - it's in Video that the non-ability to quickly switch is slightly more infuriating as what view I want may depend on whether I'm organising or viewing.

Edit: And yes, being able to select View as Panes and Details again would also be nice...

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 03:23:00 pm »

In MC15 to get the same view, I have to remove Album Artist (auto) from the Categories altogether...

Do you understand the fundamental change that was made was to allow the "list style" of the top pane to be specified independently for every category in the chain? So if you want to show artist thumbnails, select Album Artist (auto) and then use the drop-down menu to change the list style to "album." "thumbnails." The list style of the lower pane is set separately—using it's header.

The "Panes and Details" is fundamentally different from the "Categories" view type. With panes occupying the top pane, the list and details (if you choose to think they're different things) share the bottom pane. So it's logical the view type be changed using Customize View. I would appreciate the convenience of having that on the header menu, but that may be confusing to some. Maybe that could be avoided by putting everything in Customize View on the menu. ;)

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 03:31:30 pm »

then use the drop-down menu to change the list style to "album."
Where?  All I get is List Style > Thumbnails / Details ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 03:46:38 pm »

In MC14, under Show categories in this order, I have Album Artist (auto) followed by Album.
Then under View as I had Album thumbnails selected (but I could easily change to Artists Thumbnails with a single click).

You will need to make two views.  One artist view (with albums nested underneath) and one album view.

Once created, you can change views with a single click in the tree on the left.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 03:52:29 pm »

Hmm, that's what I thought  :-\

And then a third one for Panes.

And then three more for Images, and a couple for Videos.

My dream of being able to ditch the tree altogether has gone one step further away  :(

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 03:55:50 pm »

I agree that this small medium large thumbnail spacing is not good.
I'm also confused as to why some settings for the view are under customize view, and some you have to know are under the triangle under the tab...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 04:13:16 pm »

My dream of being able to ditch the tree altogether has gone one step further away  :(

With the tree hidden, you can navigate views using the view header.  You can also use Cover View to have an auto-hide tree.

But the tree is the main navigation mechanism in Media Center.  We aren't planning to change this.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 04:23:48 pm »

Where?  All I get is List Style > Thumbnails / Details

Sorry. I meant "thumbnails."

My dream of being able to ditch the tree altogether has gone one step further away

This argument is never ending. It's quite possible to include all view settings into the current view so one view can be morphed into any other. It has been clearly demonstrated, however, there are so many different possibilities this goes well beyond even advanced users' ability to understand. On the other hand, allowing too little adaptation of a view on the basis that alternative views can be created and are available with one click doesn't work either. It's not practical for a temporary/quick change in views—even if the current selection were maintained (it's not). So the only solution left is some reasonable balance between the two approaches. Since that can't be everything everyone wants, it requires some willingness on the part of users to adapt. After significant input from users, a significant change to that balance has been made. I suggest it be given due consideration. Then we can resume the debate. It will be due for it's next arbitrary change in version 17. ;)

gappie

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 04:38:26 pm »

with the new views i could ditch a third of my views and three buttons in the toolbar. i know it depends on what you want to get out of views, but for me it became much more versatile then it was.

gab

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 04:49:02 pm »

But the tree is the main navigation mechanism in Media Center.  We aren't planning to change this.

:) I know, but I can dream...it just seems a shame to have to add more to the tree when it wasn't required in 14 (and certainly not something I'm going to do - I'll just have to go without)

with the new views i could ditch a third of my views and three buttons in the toolbar. i know it depends on what you want to get out of views, but for me it became much more versatile then it was.

gab
Ok, can't argue with that!  :)

With the tree hidden, you can navigate views using the view header.
I'd love to see that expanded (to show devices, playlists...)
Interestingly, although I have Notes disabled, with the tree hidden the header shows me Notes, Notes (1) and Notes (2)

gappie

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 05:28:20 pm »

With the tree hidden, you can navigate views using the view header.  
now that is something i lost somewhere. is that something that must be set in options. i just get

list style >
sort by>
thumbnails>

or is that what you mean with navigating views.

gab

rick.ca

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 05:54:36 pm »

now that is something i lost somewhere.

Me too. ?

gappie

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 06:10:49 pm »

Me too. ?
i just found it, as marko posted in the 15.0.21 bug thread:
With the tree hidden, a drop-down tree is added to the tab in the view header.

This tree entry does not appear in the current tab when the tree is closed until the view is refreshed (F5)

-marko.
and this is only with the tree hidden, not with fullscreen (cover) view.

kurushi

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 06:19:09 pm »

With the tree hidden, you can navigate views using the view header.  You can also use Cover View to have an auto-hide tree.

All i just want is MC remember the tree position when i open it so i can open it with no tree...
Thx

Ps:u must go to bed gappie ;)

rick.ca

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 06:45:50 pm »

i just found it, as marko posted in the 15.0.21 bug thread:and this is only with the tree hidden, not with fullscreen (cover) view.

Then I suppose the problem is I don't have a clue how to hide the tree. ::)

gappie

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 12:36:30 am »

Then I suppose the problem is I don't have a clue how to hide the tree. ::)
when you click on the small triangle in the 'splitter' the tree will hide. you can see those triangles also when using splitview and when looking at a file list.. they can be handy.. ;)

gab

rick.ca

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 02:55:16 am »

Thanks. I knew that once. Another brain cell bites the dust. :(

So the "Cover View" which is really a fullscreen toggle isn't even that. With the tree gone, it's just a menu/player/footer "bar toggler." ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up