INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Client changes are not synced when switching libraries  (Read 1523 times)

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Client changes are not synced when switching libraries
« on: May 16, 2010, 10:52:07 pm »

The new ability to sync changes made on a client to the server is fantastic! Thanks so much.

I've noticed, however, that the syncing only occurs if you shut down the client, while still connected to the server. If you simply switch to a new library (say a local one), the synchronisation does not occur, even when you then exit the client.

It seems to me that the synchronisation should occur when you *disconnect* from a server, whether that happens on shut-down or when switching to a new library.

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Client changes are not synced when switching libraries
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 08:13:36 am »

Or at least present a dialog box asking if you want to sync your changes before selecting a new library.  Otherwise someone that has made a lot of changes might be annoyed to discover how long it takes to make the switch.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 09:08:49 am »

Tools > Options > Library & Server > Library Server Client
Automatically Sync back changes made on client...

How is that setting configured?
Based on the wording, I'd hazard a guess that it is only triggered when you close MC, not when you switch libraries.
In any event, you probably want that checkbox checked.

If my hunch is correct, you'll need to use File > Library > Library Sync prior to switching to a different library.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 12:43:51 pm »

Better yet would be automatically updating from the client whenever necessary.  I really hope Library Server will be getting more attention/improvements.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 07:39:52 pm »

Tools > Options > Library & Server > Library Server Client
Automatically Sync back changes made on client...

How is that setting configured?
Based on the wording, I'd hazard a guess that it is only triggered when you close MC, not when you switch libraries.
In any event, you probably want that checkbox checked.

If my hunch is correct, you'll need to use File > Library > Library Sync prior to switching to a different library.

That setting is enabled. What I was trying to point out is that this feature does not behave as one would expect (despite the wording). Silently discarding my changes just because I've switched to a new library is definitely the wrong thing to do. Either throw up a dialog reminding me to sync before switching, or just do it. I think the latter is the best option, as that's what the setting implies (i.e., shutdown == shutdown the connection).
Pages: [1]   Go Up