INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filename: <can't be renamed> ?  (Read 1329 times)

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • TiVo-aholic
Filename: <can't be renamed> ?
« on: June 08, 2010, 11:22:15 am »

Why does a file show up as <can't be renamed> for the filename in the Tag window, but not in the column view ... how can I SEARCH on this parameter?  What triggers this?
No special characters, the files can be copied, modified, etc in windows.  I can even copy/paste a version of the file, same permissions and import it to MC without this occurring again.
I haven't found a way to filter on this yet though, so I am actually looking down through files, INDIVIDUALLY, through 213,000 files to determine which ones are set as <can't be renamed>

They are all located on local drives, not removable media.

MusicHawk

Re: Filename: <can't be renamed> ?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 12:11:33 pm »

Does the proposed new file name already exist as the name of a different file in the same location?
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 12:35:33 pm »

Nope, copying the file to a new directory/structure.  Out of all of these files, only a few show up with this error.

MusicHawk

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 12:52:35 pm »

The most common causes are:

The path doesn't actually exist and can't be created on the fly by MC, so the file can't be put where expected, but since this is done as a "rename" that's the resulting error.

OR the name of a new file already exists at the same location. This can happen if copying a batch, and invoking a naming expression. If it gives a name to a file in the batch, a later file in the same batch that "should" get the same name can trigger the error. This can be obscure because the expression, while working correctly, might not be doing what is expected or intended.

However, MC tries hard to create a unique name by adding a numeric suffix, so usually repeated tries will eventually get it sorted out.

What happens if you select an individual "can't be renamed" file and try to copy it?
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.
Pages: [1]   Go Up