INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Optimizing MC and current hardware for file serving  (Read 1034 times)

HiFiTubes

• Citizen of the Universe
Optimizing MC and current hardware for file serving
« on: May 19, 2010, 12:58:56 pm »

I'm curious about optimizing my existing hardware to maximize performance of my file server.

We recently moved and I have little money to acquire anything new, and EMI and groundloop problems on my client end at the hifi led me to turn a Touchsmart 300Z into the master PC.

Equipment:

Master
HP Touchsmart 300z
4GB RAM DDR3(?)
Windows 7 Home Pro ?
G. Skill Falcon I (not yet installed; on client)
Esata>USB 2.0 PortMuliplier supported Addonics box (5 single Sata drives; no raid, just single drives)
Wired ethernet

Client

Zotac ION LE
1.6 dual-core ATOM 330
4GB DDR3
OCZ Vertex 2
Windows 7 x64
Intel 5300 mini-PCIE

Dual-band DIR-825 router

I'm getting pretty good performance streaming MKVs and high resolution audio, but I have been looking into, and making a lost of possible performance tweaks related to SSDs mostly.

I know the ADDONICS USB>eSata is not optimal but that's the only solution for now. I used to have each drive on its own SATA channel.

Would a dedicated server OS make a difference? What about optimizing memory for background vs applications?

I only have one client, well, maybe two as I have one laptop that could get used.

I'm getting to install the new SSD and I may not need to do anything, other than start tagging again, and making more backups.

Pages: [1]   Go Up