INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie import problem (incorrect tags)  (Read 1648 times)

pwantzel

• World Citizen
Movie import problem (incorrect tags)
« on: May 15, 2010, 02:08:34 pm »

I added two new movies to a drive monitored by auto-import.  It did indeed import into the library, but it appeared with all the tag information from another movie.  Both new movies got the same (incorrect) tag information.  

Any ideas about why this happens?  This is not the first time I've seen this, but it doesn't happen all the time.

MC 15.0.35, Win XP MCE SP3.

pwantzel

• World Citizen
Re: Another importing problem (incorrect tags)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 11:23:57 am »

Bump.....

Anyone?

Normally, when I import a new movie, only a few tags get filled in automatically.  In particular, the "Name" tag gets filled in from the filename.  In the case I'm asking about, the "name" gets filled in with the name of a different (previously-imported) movie that is not at all similar to the name of the new movie.  And all the other tags from that different movie are applied (incorrectly) to the new movie.  This only happens sometimes, but when it does, the incorrect movie whose tags are used is always the same one.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 12:01:49 am »

Where is your meta data coming from? Are you still using PvdImport?

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 05:14:24 am »

Yes, the meta-data for the (incorrect) movie did indeed come from PVDImport.  But I never (yet) ran PVDImport on the new movies.  Nor have I added new new movies to PVD.

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 09:03:22 am »

Just how does MC decide what to put in the "name" field when importing a video file (.avi, .mkv or .mpg)?

Almost always, the "name" field gets set to exactly the filename, less the extension (.avi, .mkv or whatever).  Occasionally, when I import TV episode files, the "name" field will end up with a different format, something like "<show name> - <episode number> - <episode title>".  But other episodes imported at the same time (and having the same filename structure) will have the "name" field exactly equal to the filename. 

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 02:58:56 pm »

Just how does MC decide what to put in the "name" field when importing a video file (.avi, .mkv or .mpg)?

As you've indicated, it's extracted from the filename. I don't think this is relevant to your issue.

Are there any XML files in the movie's directory, or that which was the source of the incorrect tag information?

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 03:39:52 pm »

Are there any XML files in the movie's directory, or that which was the source of the incorrect tag information?
Of course.  There's a sidecar file for each of the other movies.  Including the one from which the incorrect tag information was extracted.
As you've indicated, it's extracted from the filename. I don't think this is relevant to your issue.
Not for the original issue, but see my last post this morning.  I'm also seeing cases where the "name" does not match the filename, but the "name" information is related to the filename.

rick.ca

Re: Movie import problem (incorrect tags)
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 04:43:10 pm »

Of course.  There's a sidecar file for each of the other movies.

No, not "of course." This means you've elected to save video tags to sidecar files, even though you're also using PvdImport for video meta data.

Have you investigated those sidecar files as the most likely source of the erroneous tag information? For a new file, there is no tag information and there should be no sidecar file. Have you investigated the possibility that the incorrect sidecar file was somehow written to the new file's directory? Or can you establish the incorrect sidecar file is being read, even though it only exists in another directory? Is it safe to assume that whatever the problem is it must be the fault of MC, or are you using MyMovies to create sidecar files?

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 07:02:56 pm »

I'm puzzled by several things in your post.
you've elected to save video tags to sidecar files, even though you're also using PvdImport for video meta data.
Why should the use of PVDImport and the use of sidecar files have anything to do with each other?
the possibility that the incorrect sidecar file was somehow written to the new file's directory
All my movie files are in the same directory.  Hence all the .xml sidecar files are also.
or are you using MyMovies to create sidecar files?
No, the sidecar files are being created by MC.  The two new movies both have .xml sidecar files with time stamps at the time they were imported.  And both contain the wrong information.  However, I did try MyMovies at one time in the past, and when I looked, I found a file called "Parent Trap Lindsay Lohan.xvid.mymovies.xml", which looks like it came from MyMovies, and this is the movie whose information was used incorrectly in the new movie's tags.   There is also a file "Parent Trap Lindsay Lohan.xvid_avi_JRSidecar.xml" from MC.  Are you suggesting that the presence of this MyMovies .xml file is screwing me up?  I can easily delete it if that's the case.
Have you investigated those sidecar files as the most likely source of the erroneous tag information?
Well, yes, it seems likely.  But why would the new movie be tagged with information from a sidecar (or other) .xml file from a different movie?

And none of this explains why the file "s18e03p1-4 Full Circle.avi" was imported with the name of "Doctor Who - Full Circle - Part 1" while the file "s18e02p1-4 Meglos.avi" was imported with the name of "s18e02p1-4 Meglos". And the file "s16e03p1-4 The Stones of Blood.avi" ended up with the name "Dr. Who - The Stones of Blood - Part 1"

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 08:10:35 pm »

But why would the new movie be tagged with information from a sidecar (or other) .xml file from a different movie?

Possibly because of a bug. But that's likely secondary to your choice to use two different means for maintaining meta data. While that should work, it's pointless and invites confusion. And I don't understand why the name set on import matters when it's going to be replaced with the proper title in any case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up