INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server False Error?  (Read 1337 times)

theringnebula

• Recent member
Library Server False Error?
« on: May 20, 2010, 06:43:46 am »

Hello,

Since upgrading to the newer versions of 15 that are not tagged as beta anymore I am getting a message that the library server is not available from the Internet. I have checked my firewall and router settings and nothing has changed. Even though I am getting this message I am still able to connect to the Library server from other computers not on my network (like my iPhone in 3G not WiFi mode) and my work PC.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library Server False Error?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 09:03:28 am »

Sounds like a DNS issue.
Generally the ip address or hostname used to connect to the library server will be different on your local network than it will be from the internet.
If you're trying to use the same thing on the LAN that works from your office computer at work, then it has to leave your local network through the router to hit the internet, then loop back through and come in again.
I assume you're hardcoding the port, so in your web browser you're typing exactly the same thing http://hostname:port.
If that's the case and it works from your office but not from your home computer on the local network, then you have a DNS name resolution issue.

theringnebula

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 12:36:37 pm »

My server has a fixed internal IP address that does not change and I have port 52199 set to always forward to that server IP on my router. When I was using I think version 35 it would tell me that it could communicate to the outside world fine (I don't remember the exact verbiage). I just update to version 44 and then 46 and did not change any router or firewall settings and now it tells me that it cannot communicate to the outside world (something like you will be unable to access this server outside of your local network check your firewall and router settings). The funny thing is that it still works. I am at work right now and connected back to my home server using my external IP:port combination. I can also access it internally from home by using the local http://IP:port so both way work but media center itself says that it shouldn't when I test the connection.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:53:14 pm »

Oh, I was under the assumption that it wasn't connecting at home.
I never use the connection test or the keycode thing, I just hardcode the hostnames and ports and don't worry about it.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 10:59:47 am »

The problem I found was when using the actual IP, the client was horribly sluggish. Using the Key everything was kosher. Very strange and repeatable over days. this was on LAN.
Pages: [1]   Go Up