INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to make MC15 really scream  (Read 2113 times)

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
How to make MC15 really scream
« on: May 25, 2010, 04:28:56 pm »

I added a 64GB solid state drive to my system last night.
All other hardware remained the same.
The operating system and my everyday most used 5 programs (including MC15) are installed on the SSD.
All other apps are on a standard SATA drive.
This thing is smokin'!
Reboots to ready to login prompt in less than a minute.
Click on MC icon and it's instantaneously ready to go.  No startup lag at all!  Can change a file tag immediately!

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: How to make MC15 really scream
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 11:14:55 pm »

i'm building a server to serve all my files on my DAS.. do you suggest i buy a solid state for server os, jriver and all my thumbs? so far have 22gb of thumbs.
all my other drives are sata, 7200, 3gbs that are in the das.
or would it not matter being all the other drives are sata?
thanks for your suggestions

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 11:29:46 pm »

The SSD is definitely faster than a standard SATA drive.
100MBs write and 200MBs read.
Noticeable faster for me.
64GB are reasonably priced.
128GB still aren't worth it.

If you've got 22GB of thumbs, you may need larger drive than I have.
I'm using 38GB of the 64GB for Windows 7 and MC's folders, including the library files and thumbs.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 01:07:04 am »

I picked up an 80 gig Intel SSD to complement my new i7 PC, and Matt's right... It's been a while since an upgrade had such a dramatic effect. Plenty of WOW factor there :)

Now, how about this TRIM malarky... I've checked, and Windows has disabled defrag on the SSD, but I'm not sure how to check that TRIM has been implemented. Is that something else that Windows 'just takes care of'?

-marko.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 09:24:49 am »

+1.

I just built a new HTPC with a 30gb SSD and it flies.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 10:43:18 am »

Marko,  I'm able to manually initiate a defrag on my SSD drive.  Windows 7 x64

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 11:48:41 am »

I probably could do too, I didn't try though as I've read that defrag is not needed on SSD drives, and could actually be detrimental to their performance, which is why Windows turns it off.

I don't fully understand TRIM, but what feeble grasp I do have tells me that it is also designed to help prolong the 'out of the box' performance of SSD drives.
Something to do with how files are deleted/overwritten, cuts down on write operations, drive lasts longer and performs better for longer... or something like that!!

I can't find any hint of TRIM on my system; perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places, I don't know, and I've also no idea if this TRIM system is even employed on my system.
I did take an 'optional' install from Windows Update that allegedly helps the system with SSD drives over 32 Gb, maybe that's TRIM ?

-marko.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 01:04:22 pm »

SSD trim is not a driver or a system setting that you can touch, adjust, or influence.

It's a function that is built-in to a well written driver that works alongside SSD firmware.

The reason it's such a big deal is that many of the 'consumer' SSDs that were released last year did not have trim in their firmware nor did the then-available chipset/disk controller drivers have trim support included.

Once the drive manufacturers got their act together firmware-wise and Intel got their chipset/disk controller software drivers updated, all was well.

Problem is, people hang on to old information way too long.  People who are behind the times (don't bother to keep up with tech developments) seem to be complaining all the time about trim support when it's not been a problems for 6-9 months.

For what trim actually is and why it is important to an SSD, bing search is your friend.

As much as I hate to recommend anything on wikipedia, the article there is actually pretty good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up