INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hooking up to my Stereo  (Read 1228 times)

phattyjrb

Hooking up to my Stereo
« on: June 25, 2002, 06:42:36 am »

How can I hook up my Media Jukebox to play on my stereo?  Is this the only way to do it: put a plug in my computer speaker headphone jack that has RCA red and white plugs on the other end, and run them into my receiver?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Hooking up to my Stereo
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2002, 06:55:39 am »

The sound card output for your speakers will work.  You need a mini-stereo to dual RCA jack cable.  Best Buy or Radio Shack have them.

Connect to Tape In or Video In on the amp.  Phono In won't work.

Make sure the volume on the PC isn't set too low.  Same for wav level on the PC.

Good luck!  You'll like what you hear.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Chico

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2002, 08:37:48 am »

phattyjrb,
Yup... You got it.  You need what JimH had mentioned (an audio cable with 1/8" stereo plug on one end and dual RCA plugs on the other.  Plug the 1.8" stereo plug into the audio output of your PC sound card and the RCA plugs into an audio input (Tape, CD, Aux, or video sound)on your stereo (red plug goes to right input).  Make sure that you have the Wave Out and master volume settings on your PC turned on and up, and enjoy.

Scronch

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2002, 09:47:23 am »

http://www.stereo-link.com

About the same price as a good sound card.  Much better quality sound.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2002, 09:52:34 am »

Much better quality sound.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, I think you're better off getting a bit-perfect sound card and doing a digital transmission to an outboard DAC / amp.  Just my 2 cents...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gvag

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2002, 01:06:43 pm »

I agree with Matt.  I upgraded my sound card to an Audiophile 2496 and use it with the TAPE IN/OUT on my receiver, the difference is like night and day.

The Stereo Link is interesting but until it can support input from the receiver (I do a lot of vinyl ripping) I wouldn't consider it.

Scronch

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2002, 11:39:19 pm »

>better off getting a bit-perfect sound card and doing a digital transmission to an outboard DAC / amp

Well, OK, then he has to (1) buy a digital soundcard and (2) buy an amp with digital in, i.e. with a DAC.  Stereo-link is a DAC that's designed around PC music going into an analog amp input.  Also, based on the spectrum plots on the stereo-link site, I'm not convinced an amp with a digital input will have a DAC that's the same or better quality than the stereo-link.  Plus, the stereo-link is only $150.  What am I mussing?

Scronch

gvag

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2002, 12:24:16 am »

Sconch not trying to be contrary but I'm using the analog output from the Audiophile into my amps TAPE IN and the sound is excellent.

Trelane

• World Citizen
  • Destroy him, my robots.
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2002, 05:13:20 am »

I highly recommend the Stereo-Link. It is great for laptop users, who often suffer with utter crap for sound cards. It is also good for those of us who don't have a receiver with a digital input and have no need for recording.

Sure, it's not nearly as good as a pure digital setup, but it's great in the analog domain. I also recommend looking on ThinkGeek.com, as they have the SL1200 for $130.

Mike
Listening to: 'Passion And The Opera' from 'Oceanborn' by 'Nightwish' on Media Jukebox

Jaundiced Eye

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2002, 11:42:15 pm »

These are wired solutions.  This basic problem eventually goes wireless.  Bunch of cos. working on devices using 802.11 to export from computer to stereo speakers.

Harry|PLS|The|PLS|Hipster

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2002, 03:05:27 am »

Wireless - there's the iM Rhythm Remote (http://www.sonicbox.com/products/products.shtml]). Works over a radius  of 200-300 feet, decent audio, a little white noise. Can configure playlists on the host computer, input them to the remote and access them from your audio location. Pretty inexpensive, though hardly high end.

HTH

Listening to: 'Cherokee' from 'Vol. 41 Verve Jazz Masters' by 'Tal Farlow' on Media Jukebox).
Pages: [1]   Go Up