INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rotating by gestures  (Read 1367 times)

Niebla

• Junior Woodchuck
Rotating by gestures
« on: June 23, 2010, 01:37:20 am »

I think it is not obvious what "rotate left" and "rotate reight" means. Actually, it should be "rotate clockwise" or "rotate counter-clockwise"...Any way, that's not the important thing.

Three clicks are needed for rotating and image (click for menu, click in "Advance image commands", and click in the rotate command...). I think this is a basic action for many users and should be more easy to do.

I propose two posible solutions:

-Add buttons to rotate (in display view, at least)
-Gestures (by clicking and dragging the image would be rotated... as iPad does, I think)

What do you think? It is posible to include this innovative feature (gestures)?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Rotating by gestures
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 02:41:22 am »

"Rotate left" and "Rotate right" are only two clicks away...

1. Right click on image
2. Choose your "rotate" flavour. They're both right there on the right click menu.

If you want, and I believe you do, you could add buttons for these commands to your toolbar, top or bottom, it's your choice.
Quickest way to launch the toolbar editor is to right click on either the top or bottom bar.

regards,
-marko.

Niebla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 02:59:00 am »

"Rotate left" and "Rotate right" are only two clicks away...

1. Right click on image
2. Choose your "rotate" flavour. They're both right there on the right click menu.

While in "display view" I'm 3 clicks away.

If you want, and I believe you do, you could add buttons for these commands to your toolbar, top or bottom, it's your choice.
Quickest way to launch the toolbar editor is to right click on either the top or bottom bar.

regards,
-marko.

Thanks, I've added the buttons...both: top and bottom :-)

Anyway, I belive that common action should be in a more natural and visible place. MC looks like a music player even when browsing images... (Who uses "Shuffle" or "Repeat" while browsing photos?)

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 03:21:29 am »

While in "display view" I'm 3 clicks away.

As I've already said to you, Display View is for displaying, not modifying files.

Anyway, I belive that common action should be in a more natural and visible place.

Is an action "common" because it's commonly required when importing images (although only a few times if applied to a selection of images requiring it), or is it uncommon because it's only required then. Once an image has been rotated, it doesn't need to be rotated again. It would seem very unnatural to me to have a control always plainly visible when it's no longer required. It belongs on the context menu.

Who uses "Shuffle" or "Repeat" while browsing photos?

Those of us who can walk and chew gum at the same time like to listen to music while browsing photos. ;)

Niebla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 03:27:26 am »

As I've already said to you, Display View is for displaying, not modifying files.

As I've already said to you, if I saw a rotated image, I expect to be able to rotated it immediately... :-)

I don't want to browse in submenus... I want to rotate it NOW.

Remember that in that situation, we are enjoying family photos... not organizing media files...

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 03:42:33 am »

Display View is for playing media and is not capable of such things. If the objective is to enjoy the media, images should be oriented properly when they're imported. It's much easier to select the thumbnails all those that need to be rotated, and rotate them all at once. Then you can enjoy them all in Display View without having to stop and rotate any of them.

Niebla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 04:27:26 am »

Now you're just being silly. You know full well Display View is for playing media and is not capable of such things. If the objective is to enjoy the media, images should be oriented properly when they're imported. It's much easier to select the thumbnails all those that need to be rotated, and rotate them all at once. Then you can enjoy them all in Display View without having to stop and rotate any of them.

I don't want to be silly... Sorry.

I want to double click images that I just downloaded from camera, and "enjoy them".

And you are proposing to me a method that requires to start in "standard view", select small thumbnails (according if the images are rotated one way or another) , browse inside populated menus and rotate, go into "Display view", enjoy photos, go back again into "standard" view if I wish to crop a image, browse inside many editions option and crop it....go again into "Display view"... stop if...

I'm sorry. I don't think a "regular user" considers that a enjoyable time...

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 05:28:48 am »

I want to double click images that I just downloaded from camera, and "enjoy them".

I don't think that's consistent with the purpose and design of the program. And I don't believe you anyone can possibly "enjoy" raw images downloaded as downloaded from a camera without some culling, orientation, editing and classification. Like music, this is done in Standard View—where the appropriate tools are available.
Pages: [1]   Go Up