INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blank CD in CD Writer Produces Odd Behavior  (Read 539 times)

Tuber

• Recent member
Blank CD in CD Writer Produces Odd Behavior
« on: June 24, 2002, 11:37:55 am »

When I insert a blank CD into my CD writer, the CD, DVD & Handhelds category in the left-hand pane keeps opening and closing. I am unable to burn CD's, though I am able to play songs in my library.

I'm currently using MJ 8.0.293 (under Win 98SE) and am in the process of downloading 8.0.302. Hopefully there's a fix there with the new CD burners supported, but I'm not very optimistic because I'm using a popular older burner (a Plextor 8/4/32; PX-8432T) that I imagine was already supported in MJ 8.0.293.

I did not have this problem burning with MJ7.

Checking the generic driver makes no difference. I have not started to mess around with ASPI stuff yet and don't relish ramping into the learning curve there.

Frankly, though I love MJ and the new features of MJ 8, I'm starting to feel disappointed that the major functions of burning and ripping (as I posted in the previous Winoldap thread)have become so problematized for me. I encountered no problems burning and ripping under MJ7 and have not made any major changes to my system. I may be drawing a bad inference here, but it seems like MJ 8 is presenting some very difficult issues for Win 98 users who were otherwise experiencing no problems with MJ 7.

Thanks to all in advance for your help.
-Tuber

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.293
Install Path: C:\Program Files\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium III 630 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 274 MB
Resource Info: System - 60 %, GDI - 79 %, User - 60 %

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4807.2300
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3612.1700
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995
Aspi32.sys: N/A

Tuber

• Recent member
RE:Blank CD in CD Writer Produces Odd Behavior
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2002, 08:15:33 am »

FYI to the JRiver folks and others with CD-ROM-related problems under Win 98 (ripping, Winoldap, etc.).

Having double-checked the FAQ on "Important setup information for burning under Win 95/98/NT," I think my problems are solved. By setting the disconnect, sync transfer, auto insert notification, and dma settings as per the faq, I think my problems have evaporated. Although I was experiencing no problems ripping and burning with MJ7 (or other programs), and thus had no reason to suspect these device settings as being problematic, it turns out that they were very relevant for me in MJ8. In limited burning and ripping action since making the changes, I've had no problem.

So goes the power of reading FAQ's. I'm really glad that things are working again and I can fully enjoy the great features of MJ8.

-Tube

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:Blank CD in CD Writer Produces Odd Behavior
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2002, 10:19:42 am »

Thanks for reporting back on your results!

- John T.
JRiver, Inc.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up