INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming DVDs using DLNA to PS3  (Read 5521 times)

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
Streaming DVDs using DLNA to PS3
« on: June 14, 2010, 11:35:42 am »

Hi,

I have just discovered the DLNA features of MC15.  Great stuff, got it to work almost immediately to my original XBOX.  On Father's Day, I already know I am getting a PS3 slim 250 GB, mainly for the BluRay player.  I used to live in France, and have many DVDs I purchased over there (Zone 2) and brought back with me to Canada (Zone 1).  Up until now, I have been playing Zone 1 DVDs on my upconverting Samsung DVD player, and Zone 2 DVDs on the XBOX although it can only support up to a max of 480p.  I want to be able to play DVDs on my computer in the basement, and stream them to my PS3 upstairs via 100 Mb Ethernet, so that it can take advantage of the upconverting features on the PS3 and upconvert to 720p or 1080p.  It's the only way I can think of which will allow me to play a Zone 2 DVD on a Zone 1 PS3.

Does anyone know if this will actually work?  Will the DLNA server in MC15 be powerful enough to stream a DVD via 100 Mb Ethernet to my PS3?

Thanks,
DD.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Streaming DVDs using DLNA to PS3
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 03:43:59 pm »

If you have a DVD movie copied to your hard drive, it should play to your PS3.  However, this playback path is new and experimental and we've had users report that some movies do not play correctly - sections of the movie get skipped over.  We will continue to work on improving the playback performance.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 03:59:21 pm »

Hi,

I can copy the VOB files, but that isn't what I had wanted to do.  If I wanted to, I could copy the VOBs locally, remove the zone info, and just build a new DVD.  But what I would like to do is be able to drop a Zone 2 DVD into my computer's DVD drive (which is all-zone) and then have the output streamed to the PS3.  So on the computer side, I would share the DVD drive as I currently do a hard drive share via SMB to my XBOX, except I would use the DLNA MC15 server to stream the DVD.

I can continue to use my XBOX to view them if this is not possible, or I have a non-upconverting all-zone DVD player in the basement, but what I was hoping to do was to find some way of outputting the DVD contents via the PS3 even though it only supports Zone 1.  What I was thinking was that I could drop it into my all-zone computer DVD drive, and use MC15 to stream it to the PS3 via DLNA.  Is this possible?

Thanks,
DD.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 12:03:03 pm »

It may be possible to use Media Center DLNA to stream from an SMB shared DVD drive, but I haven't tried it.
If you end up trying it, please let us know the results.
So far we've concentrated our effort on supporting playback from users' ripped DVD's.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 12:08:52 pm »

OK, thanks.  I'll let you know how it goes (after Father's Day).

DD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up