INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compress DVD to MKV (without losing quality)  (Read 19784 times)

chriswale

• World Citizen
Compress DVD to MKV (without losing quality)
« on: September 02, 2009, 07:07:07 am »

Hi.

For the last year I have been backing up my DVD's to my computer using CloneDVD 2 (Slysoft).
I have always copied the DVD's at 100% quality to ISO images.

DVD > ISO

Now I would like to convert and compress the DVD ISO images to MKV format. For two reasons:
1) I would like to compress the video and audio (without losing quality, similar to the concept of compressing WAV to FLAC)
2) MKV files can be added to a Media Center 14 library, ISO files cannot

Can anyone suggest any methods, software, settings, compression types to use?

THANKS!

bwaldron

• World Citizen
Re: Compress DVD to MKV (without losing quality)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 03:16:09 pm »

If you're still looking, http://www.makemkv.com/ does the job.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 05:09:00 pm »

If you're still looking, http://www.makemkv.com/ does the job.
are you sure make mkv is lossless? i understood the audio isnt, from an other thread somewhere here. i have used dvd decriptor (in combination with anydvd) to rip and mkvmerge to make a mkv. but started to use makemkv recently, nice programm as far as i tested and for sure much easier then how i did it before.

:)
gab

bwaldron

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 05:40:37 pm »

are you sure make mkv is lossless? i understood the audio isnt, from an other thread somewhere here.

For what I use it for (DVD rips) I believe it is lossless -- MPEG2 video and AC3 audio end up in the MKV container. May be different for handling Blu-Ray, I can't speak to that.

gappie

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 05:53:43 pm »

For what I use it for (DVD rips) I believe it is lossless -- MPEG2 and AC3 audio end up in the MKV container. May be different for handling Blu-Ray, I can't speak to that.
that was actually what i also thought, looked through their forums to find something about it, without succes.
just so i know when i hear a difference between the original dvd and the mkv its the codecs, not the ripper.  8)

btw, chris, makemkv is free... so you can give it a try..

:)
gab

Daydream

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 02:50:44 pm »

are you sure make mkv is lossless? i understood the audio isnt, from an other thread somewhere here.

For DVD it is, for Blu-Ray it only extracts the 'core' tracks (DD, DTS) not the entire lossless information.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 12:12:28 pm »

You could use DVDFab to just extract each title from the dvd as a vob file, and then use mkvtoolnix to mux it into a mkv. That would be totally lossless, so you wouldnt save any file size, but you would get the benefit of splitting up your dvd titles into separate files (meaning that you can orgainze them into "Trailers" and "Features" etc.), and MC importing them corrrectly as videos each time.

Oh, and since you can only take one audio stream (per rip) from a DVD, you might save a little bit of space.

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 04:28:14 pm »

For DVD it is, for Blu-Ray it only extracts the 'core' tracks (DD, DTS) not the entire lossless information.

You can make remux MKV file with main HD audio formats (DTS-HD, LPCM, E-AC3 DD+) with tsMuxeR tool  )

you would get the benefit of splitting up your dvd titles into separate files (meaning that you can orgainze them into "Trailers" and "Features" etc.), and MC importing them corrrectly as videos each time.

Interesting idea to me so it would be easier probably, than with dvd menu. I'll try.

inman2787

convert MKV to DVD
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 02:08:58 am »

By the way,i like to ask how to burn mkv files to dvd.Someone recommended WianAVI and ConvertXtoDVD,any other better program can convert video files to dvd without a loss of quality.Thanks in advance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up